Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass shavings from expander die

okorpheus

I noticed some brass shavings - almost like dust around my shell plate (lee Classic turret press). I started taking apart does and it seems to be coming from the expander die - here was quite a buildup of shavings - almost like brass dust. I don't think I'm over expanding - the belling is barely perceptible to the eye, just enough to set the bullet in the case. Is this a problem or normal? Any possible solutions? Many of my rounds also seem to "stick" coming out of the powder die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I would try with some sandpaper in the 400 range and work up to the 1200 range. It won't take much material off as the funnel is pretty hard. All you should accomplish is just smoothing the funnel out a little. To get rid of the sticking funnel completely you will have to figure out a way to chuck it in a drill or press and get more aggressive with a file and such, then sand it down. I was able to pound a dowel into mine and chuck it in a drill and just let it turn on a fine file for a few seconds at a time, then sandpaper. Then put back in press and see how much it still sticks. You want it to grab a little in my opinion. On my first test I took too much off and there was no expanding happening at all. My bullets were seating way off center, crooked, etc..

Chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth lightly helps a lot.

I have only seen one expander that ever needed polishing, and that was a Lee (and I have a bunch of Lee, Hornady, and other expanders). Chamfering solved the issue for me.

Archived