Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bull barrel lockup

3djedi

I have a bull barrel set up and was curious if there should be any perceptible movement between the barrel and the slide when locked up. If I put my thumb over the crown of the barrel I can wiggle it a bit. How much is acceptable? (This is a cone barrel)

I tried this with my glock and I don't notice any movement. With an STI 1911 there is zero movement but it is a bushing barrel.

You don't want any movement when in battery. Any movement is going to hurt accuracy. How much is another topic all together.

I would shoot it and if the accuracy works for you, then leave it alone.

I would be saving for a new barrel fitting though.

The gun is new and I noticed a little accuracy problem right a way. I benched it and got about a 3" group at 15 yards and about 4.75" at 25 yards. I can get better groups off hand with my glock 35.

The pistol has a lifetime warranty so I guess I should just ship it to them........ Sucks getting a new gun and then have to turn around and ship back......... This company makes you pay shipping both ways.

The gun is new and I noticed a little accuracy problem right a way. I benched it and got about a 3" group at 15 yards and about 4.75" at 25 yards. I can get better groups off hand with my glock 35.

The pistol has a lifetime warranty so I guess I should just ship it to them........ Sucks getting a new gun and then have to turn around and ship back......... This company makes you pay shipping both ways.

Is it stringing vertically? How tight is it at the hood end as the barrel is locked up?

At the hood I pushed down and it was tight. When I push in on it (perpendicular to the grip) it moved in .01" (i checked on calipers). However when I put a dummy round in it the movement is gone and tight. The muzzle end still wiggles. I can feel it, but barely see it with my aging eyes. I put some oil around the edges of the barrel and slide and see it much better when it moves......

At 15 yards it was spread out vertical. At 25 it was a horizontal. Weird.

Maybe it's just me.......

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That is interesting. I had a gun that locked up tight at the chamber end, had more wiggle than yours out front, and still shot great groups. I talked to a smith about the movement and he convinced me it wasn't an issue.

I wonder if it is one of those things like a looser slide to frame fit, that we don't like, and hate in concept, that have little to no effect at the target.

ill say this, theres more than one way to skin a cat or fit a barrel.

So If the barrel hood, locking lugs, and barrel feet properly tell the muzzle end of the barrel where to go, then theres no problem at all with top and bottom lockup/contact at the muzzle.

what happens a lot in new guns is that their barrels sometimes need to find their place and settle in, but that usually happens after the first mag or two. and those rounds should be shot by the builder

I did another quick test of 5 shot groups at 7, 15, and 25 yards. It's not really that bad I don't think. This was with the dust cover rested on sandbags. If you take the best 4 out of 5 I got about a 2" group at 25 yards. It's entirely possible that the gun is just fine and it's my abilities and/ or my reloads.......

post-48839-0-31211400-1427060295_thumb.j

Edited by 3djedi