Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I just a little girl?

RG86

OK first off short of over unders for bird hunting years ago, I have very very little shotgun experience. Its probably been 3 years since I fired one. But I want to get into 3 gun this year, so I jumped on the band wagon and bought a 26inch M3000 yesterday. I really like it for the most part. My issue is the thing kicks like a mule. Maybe I am just a weakling but good lord it left my shoulder sore after 50 rounds. I bought it with the intention of my wife and I both using it for 3 gun but unless I can do something about the recoil I dont see her being comfortable with it. Maybe its my lack of any sort of technique. Has anyone tried running one of the recoil reducers in one? I see Stoeger sells them online. Maybe its a strange question but how in the snot do the pros make these things sing so fast with out killing themselves? Maybe and most likely I am doing something wrong.

Oh yeah I was running a mix of 2&3/4 shells that I bought to test it out. Manly federal top gun and Estate. Also a box of slugs from RIO the shotgun did really really well. Didn't miss a beat and I simply took it out of the box loaded and went to town.

First, shotguns have decent recoil. If it had been a while then maybe you have just forgotten how much they kick.

Second, what loads were you running? Do you have it firm against your shoulder?

Yeah it was good and tight. I was running Federal Target load, 2&3/4 1&1/8 oz #8 shot 2&3/4 dram eq, and Estate same thing but 7&1/2 shot. The last few years have been focused on USPSA pistol, 5.56 & 308 rifle. Really when it comes to picking out shotgun shells I have no idea what to buy. I had always bought the pheasant loads in the past from the local hardware shop back home. Couldn't even tell you what they were. My over under hasn't seen the range in over 7 years. what little bird hunting there is here in AK can be done with a 22. Maybe I do just need to get used to it again.

I general inertia guns like M3000 will have a bit more recoil then gas operated ones but a bit less then OU's or pumps. Personally I can't really tell the difference between different semi-auto shotguns unless I shoot them back to back, and I'm not that good of a shotgun shooter.

The best I can suggest is ... roll with it. Shotgun have recoil, absorb it and move on.

It seems like Stoeger has made a lot of improvements on the M3000.

I had a M2000 and it had a much sharper recoil than any of my gas operated Berettas. It was also the biggest POS firearm I ever purchased. The only thing it would do with any consistency was embarrass me at the worst possible time.

I ended up selling it as a single shot automatic.

One thing I've noticed about shooters who end up sore and bruised after a couple boxes of shells is that they're all using a fairly traditional/old school stance, weak arm shoulder angled towards target, strong arm elbow up and the stock far out on the shoulder joint. The problem that I have with this is that the stock is resting on my shoulder at an angle, when I fire it wants to deflect off my shoulder and it pulls skin and rocks the joint/muscles a lot harder. The stance I use is to have the stock completely off the shoulder and pulled in tight to my chest which is fairly square with the target and my elbow is dropped which tightens my pectoral muscles. What this does is gives the stock a flat perpendicular surface to recoil against. It doesn't recoil less but it comes straight back and doesn't pull skin or hammer any flexible body parts.

Edited by TonytheTiger

"...I simply took it out of the box loaded and went to town.".. If you haven't fired a shotgun in a while and you fast fired 50 rds, I can see how you can be sore. You need to work on your mounting the gun and slowly get back in to shotgun shooting. What part of your shoulder was sore? If you want, you can use some lower recoil loads for the time being. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lighten-Up-Winchester-WinLite-Low-Recoil-Shotgun-Ammunition/531859.utsThe most important thing is to relearn how to properly mount the gun.

As an Old Fart, I have a Stoeger and shoot it with 1200 and 1250fps 1-1/8 oz loads, no issues. I do have a 'kick-eze' pad installed. I also shoot an OU with the same loads and run through 75-100 rounds per session,no issues. You need to check the fit of your gun as well as your stance. Either is off and it will hurt, both off and it will hurt more. You may need to shorten the LOP, you may need a pad, you may need to adjust your stance. Find a knowledgeable shotgunner and work with him. It will pay off.

My friends swear by their LimbSaver recoil pads.

This! They work. I have had 2 cuff surgeries on my strong side shoulder and still shoot a ton of shotgun.. Only time I notice it is in October when I hit ND for ducks and shoot a few hundred rounds of 3.5" in a very short time.

If you find that you are really sensitive to the recoil get a versamax and have one of the good 3 gun shotgun smiths update it. The gas does make a difference.

Edited by striped1

Did you notice it after the box of birdshot?

Because I'm thinking going through 25 slugs is what got you sore moreso than "just shooting a shotgun after a long time"......

Also a box of slugs from RIO the shotgun did really really well

Full-power slugs will get you beat up some, especially if you haven't shot shotgun in a while. Much moreso than regular birdshot, especially since you were shooting this stuff you listed, which is pretty light and shouldn't really leave you sore:

Federal Target load, 2&3/4 1&1/8 oz #8 shot 2&3/4 dram eq, and Estate same thing but 7&1/2 sho

Look for Fiocchi low-recoil slugs. Accurate and very soft-shooting.

As Jim Norman said, gun fit matters. I've done a bunch to my Benelli, drop adjustment, pull length and especially the cast. I have a hard pad on it and don't have a problem with my shoulder being sore no matter what I'm shooting. One gun probably won't work for both you and your wife. Get her her own gun and have a woman shotgunner work with her on fitting it. The different body parts women have change how the fit needs to work.

Gun fit most certainly matters. as does stance. A kick-eze pad helps too.

Also, try some 1145 and 1100 fps loads. Your M3000 might or might not run them. If it does not, you can polish the snot out of the tube, or get a Carbon Arms tube which is stainless and lets you run the low recoil loads.