Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Playing with a photo switch and powder measure

Search eBay for "photo electric switch", when you see one that is almost $13 shipped that looks like it, that's it. I have some others on the way but that was the first one to get here.

I was just curious what it would take to get one kernel accuracy. The promeythous 2 powder gets that accuracy but costs $3000 or so to lease it for 25 years and that is a little out of my budget for something I don't need.

This is a video of it.

I was thinking a micro version of this bowl feeder would work as a single kernel trickler with at least two switches on the beam so it doesn't take forever, a high/low speed setup.

I imagine the hard part being the powder dump.

Thanks much, I'll go check that out.

I had done something like this when I was bored one day with one of the sensors from an old optical-mechanical computer mouse (the kind that have the notched wheels inside them) and a microcontroller board. It was mostly a proof of concept though as I was going to have to fab a housing for the sensor. That looks like a much nicer option.

Edited by caspian guy

Making one of these, eh?

http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

Don't know if I'll get that far. Not sure how important one kernel of powder is for accuracy but I will when I finish my rail gun project and test loads loaded that accurate side by side with the ones that have always worked for me in the past 30 years. Edited by jmorris

• 9 months later...

This one has been waiting on me awhile so after lunch I made a very simple trickler made from UHMW, .25" stainless tubing and a bit of aluminum.

I threaded the bottom of the "trickler housing" and it will be mounted to a base plate.

IMG_20160110_151617_395_zps51oyj4lb.jpg

The base plate will also be large enough to mount the motor, have room for the scale.

IMG_20160110_151418_323_zpsxkwsjheo.jpg

Also an RCBS measure to throw the main charge and mounts for at least one, likely two photo electric switches like the On in the OP to control the trickler.

Making one of these, eh?

http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

Don't know if I'll get that far. Not sure how important one kernel of powder is for accuracy but I will when I finish my rail gun project and test loads loaded that accurate side by side with the ones that have always worked for me in the past 30 years.

Rail gun project? Where did you find the caps?

• 4 weeks later...

I really like all the cool stuff you make Jmorris, and that you freely share your creations, I still have the annealing machine I made from your plans and wheel, The point everyone misses out on with the Gen 2 Prometheus is its not just a super accurate beam scale, but it's an automatic dispenser, it's almost 100 times more accurate than a Chargemaster, and 3 times faster, I have charged and seated 200 rounds in 65 minutes, all cases with to the kernel accuracy, I know people who have done it faster, and people stop F&@king crying about the lease, it's no big deal, none of us who have one are whining about the lease.

Edited by 427Cobra