Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Nova/Super Nova Slugs & Buckshot hanging up

7.62mm

Been having issues with Slugs and Buckshot hanging up after they have been fired in my Nova. This is a new problem that has developed. The chamber seems to be fine, and I did run a scotchbrite pad with some polishing compound in there, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Slugs I have been using are the S&B Low Recoil, and the Buckshot is the 9 pellet FliteControl.

Edited by 7.62mm

That is it exactly!

Difficult to extract.....I have had to mortar the buttstock shotgun onto the ground to get the shell to extract. Usually they will extract after kneeing the buttstock.

Are you shooting full power buck and slug or reduced recoil?

(Neither should have problems extracting, just trying to get more info.)

Try taking a hull fired in this Nova and see if it will chamber into another shotgun.

Edited by Bryan 45

Different shotgun manufacturer, but similar symptoms.

I run an 870 and experienced extraction problems very similar to those noted above. Specifically, I experienced the extraction difficulty with various birdshot and slug loads. The 1st 2 or 3 rounds would extract as expected and then extraction got more difficult with each shot until after as few as 6 rounds, I could not operate the action. After discovering that chamber polishing improved but did not eliminate the sticking, I noticed that different types of shotshell bases ran differently. I discovered that the use of brass colored bases had a significant impact on how long the gun would run before I could not open the action. I switched over to brass bases (Remington STS, Winchester AA) and I have not had a problem since. I know these bases have some ferrous content... but the attraction forces to my magnet are lower than most steel colored bases.

Different platform, similar problem, possibly same prescription. If you ever find the "root cause" I would appreciate your posting of the corrective action.