Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 COAL?

rack&roll

Weight shouldn't make a difference but I think 124gr are preferable cause of the heavier slide weight of 1911's compared to say a cz shadow which likes the recoil of 147gr. Oal I used in my Sti uspsa 1911 was 1.135.

My Fusion has a shorter/tighter chamber. I load them @ 1.120 and it runs fine. Others run all the way out to 1.160 with no problems. +1 on the plunk test. All guns are different...

Actually, its all barrels are different. I could load 124g FMJ to 1.145 with no issues.

OAL is dependent on the bullet's profile. MG JHP's need to be loaded shorted than any other bullet I've tried. As Steve mentioned, do a plunk test with the bullet you want to load, subtract .010" and call it good.

Running MG 115g FMJ in a Springfielld Loaded 9mm, 1.110"-1.113". Never had an issue over thousands of rounds using Metalform 10 round mags, or the original 9 rounders or the 3 additional free from SA 9 rounders (admittedly these 9 round mags see little use other than dry fire). Use the gun for USPSA Single Stack Minor.

What oal were you using, and what problems are you experiencing? Before thinking it's the cartridge length causing the problem, look at your feed ramp and the extractor. And sometimes the mags themselves can cause feeding problems.

As for mine, I use 124 gr at 1.135-1.150".

What oal were you using, and what problems are you experiencing? Before thinking it's the cartridge length causing the problem, look at your feed ramp and the extractor. And sometimes the mags themselves can cause feeding problems.

As for mine, I use 124 gr at 1.135-1.150".

The magazine feed lip length plays a big part in relaibility of feeding. From my experience the Wilson 10 round mags with long feed lips are not good for longer OAL's. I found shorter mag lips with longer OAL lengths worked better.

Lots of advice, but the op has left out so much info.

First, just what problems is he having? He never said what, we all just assumed feeding.

Second, he asks about oal, but doesn't say what he's loading to.

Third, what mags is he using?

We really need some more information to give him proper advice.

Well, Mr. Bob.

1. I was having problems initially with my new SA 9mm getting light primer strikes. That issue has been resolved.

2. I then started having the rounds not feeding and sticking on the feed ramp at an angle. I would have to stop, drop the mag (slide was stuck), rack the slide, reinsert mag, rack the slide again to chamber a round and continue firing.

3. Average COAL is: 1.146

4. I never said these were my reloads, I buy them from a local professional reloading co. that I've been using for years. Their price with brass is so low, it almost doesn't make sense for me to reload. (I do have a SDB)

5. Mags are Dawson 10 rounders with No-Gap basepads.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I think (hope) the problem is resolved now. I put the original recoil spring back in (had a 9lb.) and it's running reliably now. I even tried some AA&A 115gr. reloads, and it ran with those, too. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

Edited by rack&roll