Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger Class Question

cjdaniel78

I signed up for the Fundamentals class on May 12-13, immediately followed by the Skills and Drills class on May 14. I am now thinking that doing the classes back to back may be too much to take in and remember.

I am new to USPSA shooting, but not new to guns. I have shot some IDPA and some outlaw matches as well as dry fire religiously. Am I over thinking or should I take some time after the Fundamentals class to digest the info before moving on?

Has anyone taken both classes? Back to back?

Thanks.

I have not taken this set of classes, but I have taken 4 days of classes back to back. If you are a good note taker I say go for it. During each break write down what you had "ah ha" moments of and as well during lunch and the end of the day. I've also asked instructors to give me an outline of what they teach before or after the class and this is also a good template for me to organize my own thoughts aftwards.

I have not taken this set of classes, but I have taken 4 days of classes back to back. If you are a good note taker I say go for it. During each break write down what you had "ah ha" moments of and as well during lunch and the end of the day. I've also asked instructors to give me an outline of what they teach before or after the class and this is also a good template for me to organize my own thoughts aftwards.

+1

If you are taking effective notes during the classes it really does not matter how much content is covered in consecutive days of training. If you go into the class expecting that all of your issues are going to be "Fixed" by the end of the class you will be disappointing because you really can't "fix" much in only a few days of training. But what you can do is identify issues and associated solutions to fix them. Then take that info away from the class and put in the hard work AFTER the class to fix your issues.

I have not taken Ben's class, but I do a fair bit of training myself. I always tell my students that any training is nothing more than an opportunity for someone to objectively observe your skills to identify issues and propose solutions for improving them. Its always up to the student to take that information back home and put in the hard work to deploy the solutions in their own training/practice program. Simply attending the class alone isn't going to yield much if any lasting skills improvement without putting in the hard work afterwards. Unfortunately there are a lot of shooters who think that simply attending a class will magically fix their issues without putting any effort into it after the class. It does not work that way.

Thanks. I am willing to put in the effort, I want to get a read on the areas I will see the most improvement though. I can pull a .7 dry fire draw and my reloads are pretty good. But movement and setup - I suck. My transitions "feel" fast, but lots of improvement available there.

I'll see if Ben has an outline to help with notes.

Now to load up lots of ammo; on a single stage press. In fact, I was about to order a progressive but a class with Ben less than 30 minutes from my house won't happen again soon, and they're still making presses.

Thanks. I am willing to put in the effort, I want to get a read on the areas I will see the most improvement though. I can pull a .7 dry fire draw and my reloads are pretty good. But movement and setup - I suck. My transitions "feel" fast, but lots of improvement available there.

I'll see if Ben has an outline to help with notes.

Now to load up lots of ammo; on a single stage press. In fact, I was about to order a progressive but a class with Ben less than 30 minutes from my house won't happen again soon, and they're still making presses.

I can help you out with the notes thing if you like. =)

See you soon!