Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mozambique drill question

rmj339

2 seconds... with all Down 0 hits, isn't easy... even w/o a cover garment. I've done it a few times with a revolver (1.97-1.99), but I was just going for speed. About half of those tries resulted in either a D1 on the body or a miked head shot.

I think a better gauge would be all Down 0. In that case I would consider somewhere between 2.10 and 2.20 (without a cover garment) would be MA class times. Add a cover garment and add .30 seconds.

Just MHO... SSP MA.

Without concealment I would think a good time at 7 yards is:

1.0 second draw

0.2 second split

0.3 second transition to the head

---

1.5 seconds total

With an IDPA legal holster?

A one second draw from an IDPA legal holster is completely doable. Up until a few years ago, I ran the same Comp-Tac belt holster shooting IDPA SSP and USPSA Production and I don't think it slowed me down any.

Those times up there are fairly aggressive but none of them are ridiculous. I think the hardest part of what I wrote would probably be the 0.3 second transition to the head. I think I lose a bit of time there verifying I am on target. It has been a while since I've shot a 7 yard Mozambique but I seem to recall getting in the 1.6 to 1.8 times regularly. I did try recently to see how close I could get to Vogel's 0.93 2 yard Mozambique. Couldn't quite get there. I think my fastest was 1.06 and that took some work.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and shot this again the other day just to see. 1.50 seconds for a clean run with out cover was pretty repeatable for me. Few were in the 1.40 range and bad hits could be done in 1.30

When I really push it I can average about 1.35 within my "match" or "comfort" zone 1.5 clean.

I'm sorry guys, I'm going to have to call BS on these times. These aren't realistic, repeatable times. Even a top shooter letting it all out is tough at 1.5 at 7.

2.0, repeatable, all day, is a solid time. That's match pace.

Edited by MWP

When I really push it I can average about 1.35 within my "match" or "comfort" zone 1.5 clean.

I'm sorry guys, I'm going to have to call BS on these times. These aren't realistic, repeatable times. Even a top shooter letting it all out is tough at 1.5 at 7.

So what do I get after I post my video showing 1.5 and faster at 7?

So what do I get after I post my video showing 1.5 and faster at 7?

Im not saying it's not possible, I can do it myself.

I'm talking about doing it all day. No different than cleaning a plate rack or bill drill, not your fastest time, but the time you could do 10 in a row.

My fastest time with no concealment is a 1.47, with several in the mid 1.5 range. I consider these one off pretty lucky runs just for fun. I consider 1.8 my standard reproducible time, the way I shoot it in the classifier. I tell guys to go for a 2 second goal generally.

The best way to practice it for me is to put a 3x5 card in the head box and draw to two shots to it. This forces you to aim since hitting the 3x5 card is significantly more difficult than just the brown head box, once you can do this consistently, the Mozambique is easy.

My fastest time with no concealment is a 1.47, with several in the mid 1.5 range. I consider these one off pretty lucky runs just for fun. I consider 1.8 my standard reproducible time, the way I shoot it in the classifier. I tell guys to go for a 2 second goal generally.

The best way to practice it for me is to put a 3x5 card in the head box and draw to two shots to it. This forces you to aim since hitting the 3x5 card is significantly more difficult than just the brown head box, once you can do this consistently, the Mozambique is easy.

I also like the reduced head box but I never remember my 3x5 cards so on those days I just use the IPSC head A box

<1.5 seems inhuman at 7 yards. I remember watching Matt Burkett do it on video at just over 1.6 and thinking that was incredible.

My personal best time is a 1.76, but my normal runs are around 2.1 with IDPA gear.

OK, finally went and did this today. First thing of the day, no dry fire no nothing. Totally cold. 7 yards. No concealment garment. My SSP/Production stuff.

Did it 9 times all in one take. With bobbles I never go over 1.60 seconds. Three of the runs I drop points. One of them is a miked head shot. I have a clean run at like 1.36 if I remember.

The raw video footage is being uploaded to YT now and will post it here for the person who said it was BS and not repeatable.

OK, finally went and did this today. First thing of the day, no dry fire no nothing. Totally cold. 7 yards. No concealment garment. My SSP/Production stuff.

Did it 9 times all in one take. With bobbles I never go over 1.60 seconds. Three of the runs I drop points. One of them is a miked head shot. I have a clean run at like 1.36 if I remember.

The raw video footage is being uploaded to YT now and will post it here for the person who said it was BS and not repeatable.

Not doubting you Rowdy...I've SO'd you a few times so I've seen you shoot. Looking forward to the video though!

Video it is 6 minutes of raw unedited footage. To sum it up it goes 1.46 clean. 1.64 down 1. then a 1.51 clean. next is a 1.43 with a miked head shot. then a 1.60 down 1pnt. a 1.36 clean woot! followed by a 1.55 clean. next is a 1.45 down two. horrible stuff next as I have a bad primer that wont let the gun go into battery or shoot. end it with a 1.48 clean.

There you have it..... All day. All in a row. All from a legal set up with a prod/ssp legal gun.

After doing this I did 6 sub 2 second bill drills in a row, just fyi to rearrange your perception of what a person can do.

Video it is 6 minutes of raw unedited footage. To sum it up it goes 1.46 clean. 1.64 down 1. then a 1.51 clean. next is a 1.43 with a miked head shot. then a 1.60 down 1pnt. a 1.36 clean woot! followed by a 1.55 clean. next is a 1.45 down two. horrible stuff next as I have a bad primer that wont let the gun go into battery or shoot. end it with a 1.48 clean.

There you have it..... All day. All in a row. All from a legal set up with a prod/ssp legal gun.

After doing this I did 6 sub 2 second bill drills in a row, just fyi to rearrange your perception of what a person can do.

That's impressive on 6 bill drills in a row, well done, gives me something to shoot for. I tense up after the first one or two, I need to learn to relax more.

What start position?

hands at sides for both drills. these times aren't crazy, all you need is a solid 1.0 sec or less draw, sub .20 splits all the time and body to head transitions in the .30 range. :devil:

btw, that is a 1.4977 sec average for my failure drills. since it was hinted that wasn't repeatable. sorry if i seem to be beating this to death. but........

1. with hard work you can go further than someone with talent alone.

2. what you once thought crazy hard does get easier. I looked at my video for this drill about 9 months ago and i was struggling to be near 2.2 seconds repeatedly.

3. i don't like to feel challenged, hahahaha. my name is Rowdy afterall and i have red hair.

4. i keep a log book of all my drills. if you're not measuring yourself then how can you gauge your own improvement? match scores are you relative to others. the others are an unknown. i like to track my progress against a constant, myself. i now have enough of a mental and physical library i can predict my times to do things pretty dang accurately.

5. don't doubt me, it only is fuel for my fire. hahahaha.

6. i hurt my knee badly at an indoor idpa match last week. so i'm very cranky about it. getting the opportunity to just do some "Stand and shoot" type stuff was welcomed but frustrating at the same time.

Edited by rowdyb