Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 308

Happily, the 308 isn't a "finicky small dog", so a HUGE array of powders work well in it. Autoloaders take a narrower but still generous list. For 200 yards, just about anything in the medium range will work well, unless you're a benchrester. Screaming velocity matters little at 200 too, so light or middle loads are options as well.

Same with bullets. Just about anything with a hole in the front or a polymer tip can shoot bugholes. Don't beat yourself up worrying about it! ;-)

Mark

LOOKING FOR THE BEST I CAN GET FOR 200 YD. TARGET SHOOTING

At the risk of repeating myself, semi-auto or bolt gun? What barrel length? What degree of accuracy? These things matter. Just about anything will get you reasonable results, even some cheap off the shelf ammo will work at 200yd if all you are trying to hit is a 10" plate.

I won't be competing with anyone but myself and I'm doing 200yds. I'd like to get good as I can accuracy without buying that expensive competitive stuff that you would need for true competition. Does that sound weird? I want to get accuracy without paying the price of the good stuff. Haha

I'm shooting a 20" 308 bolt.

Edited by Mikelindsey

I am just about out of varget and loaded a batches of 5 round ladder loads with H335 using 168 AMX. I shot 5x5 rounds out of my tikka sporter 24" in 20 minutes and the groups averaged about 5/8" at 100 yards. I need to try the loads at longe ranges but it looks like I'll be using H335 for a while. It seems to work and I have over 20 pounds of it.

Accuracy varies greatly between different people. When developing loads for my bolt guns I aim for .25moa at 100 yrds, but I know people who load for their bolt guns and are happy with 1moa at 100 yrds.

For most 308 bolt guns I have seen they generally all like the 168 SMK, 175 SMK, 168 A-Max and 178 A-Max over a variety of powders. I have always had Varget and all my rifles love it.

I've had great results using 168 gr. Sierra match bullets w/ Winchester 748 powder. Moderate velocities are usually more accurate than high velocity. This was my combination for 300 and 600 yd. prone matches in a Rem 40XC.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to experiment.

Semper fi,

Howard

I won't be competing with anyone but myself and I'm doing 200yds. I'd like to get good as I can accuracy without buying that expensive competitive stuff that you would need for true competition. Does that sound weird? I want to get accuracy without paying the price of the good stuff. Haha

I'm shooting a 20" 308 bolt.

One load I would suggest will work well out of a 20" barrel regardless of distance. SMK 155gr Palma Match bullets over H4895. The bullets have a very high BC which gives them good wind resistance. H4895 is a versatile fast burning powder which makes it a good choice for shorter barrels.

The advantage of this load is that you can load at a lower velocity for accuracy at shorter ranges which makes it a lower recoil load to shoot. If you do need to go to 1000yd, you can increase the load a bit and have ballistics close to the 175gr match bullets.

Been using Reloder 15 with pretty good luck in my Remington 700 with 180gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. Will be trying out some lighter 168gr bullets, and plan on trying Varget, H4895, and Benchmark.

I am just about out of varget and loaded a batches of 5 round ladder loads with H335 using 168 AMX. I shot 5x5 rounds out of my tikka sporter 24" in 20 minutes and the groups averaged about 5/8" at 100 yards. I need to try the loads at longe ranges but it looks like I'll be using H335 for a while. It seems to work and I have over 20 pounds of it.

That's encouraging. I recently picked up a .308 Garand. It's my first "larger" rifle. I have plenty of H335 and nothing else even close to suitable for loading .308.

Hard to beat H335 for .223 and 308.

Cheap, available and works well on both.

Staying on the cheap Wideners

has 2000 30CAL FMJBT M80 Bullets $389.00 FREE USPS FLAT RATE S/H

They are NOT pulls.

Brand new shinny bullets.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Live long and free or die