Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun weights

PKT1106

Every once in a while, I see a gun I want more info about. Then I look at the Production gun list out of curiosity.

Can anyone give me some insight on how are the weights for the production gun list determined?

For example, the Glock 17 is listed as 25.06oz on Glock's website and 25oz on the production gun list. However, the FNS-9 Long Slide is 26.5oz on the FN Website and 27.2 on the gun list.

Edited by PKT1106

Is the added weight the mag?

That is what I thought at first, but the Glock 17 weights are within .06#. Makes me think it is just for the gun. Plus, the rule book says they have a 2oz buffer for the gun with an empty mag. So, if a Glock 17 weighs 25oz, it can be up to 27 with an empty mag.

What makes all of this even worse is that the guns should be weighed with an empty mag in them, and most the manufactures don't do that, and submit the paper work to USPSA and that is how it is entered. Take for example my issue with S&W at Area 8 two years ago, my gun came in overweight, not because it was, but because S&W guessed at the weights on the Pro line of guns when they submitted to USPSA. I had modified (added a tungsten guide rod 1.3 additional oz from my allowed +2) and it did not make it.

Most of the Glocks I have weighed with an empty mag come in just under the listed weight with the +2, so they does not leave a lot of room.

You would think with the vast network of US shooters that USPSA could weight actual guns to confirm weights.

There are a lot of guns to weigh and I don't think you want the people trying to make weight being the ones to submit the info for official publication.

Just checked Sig's website out of curiosity. They specifically list weights as "w/ mag". An X5 Allround is shown as 45.0oz vs 45.2oz on the list. Glock's site didn't specify, but with the weights so close, I'd guess their weights are w/ mag as well. I guess some manufacturers are weighing with a mag and some aren't.

You would think with the vast network of US shooters that USPSA could weight actual guns to confirm weights.

There are a lot of guns to weigh and I don't think you want the people trying to make weight being the ones to submit the info for official publication.

Would not have to be regular USPSA members. President, NROI director, ADs and etc. Not saying the only way. But lets face it to be that far off on a S&W M&P is pretty bad. I am just saying if there seems to be a discrepancy.

Edited by z40acp

I emailed Troy and he stated that the weight that is used is the one on the application for to get the gun on the production list with an empty mag included.

What good would it do the manufacturer to have one weight on their website and submit another to USPSA for the production list?

Edited by PKT1106

I emailed Troy and he stated that the weight that is used is the one on the application for to get the gun on the production list with an empty mag included.

What good would it do the manufacturer to have one weight on their website and submit another to USPSA for the production list?

If you weigh your gun with an empty mag, which weight is correct? The manufacturer or the production list?

If the latter, I'd send that in and ask for a reevaluation.

In this case the Production list is the only one that really matters, as it is what will be used at the match you might have paid 100+ bucks to shoot L2/3/Nats that will have a chrono stage that will push you out of Production and into OPEN. So the issue is the manufactures report the wrong weight to NROI when they submit the paperwork, and no one can challenge it, unless they call the company like I did and make a huge stink about it. But I still shot OPEN at an Area match, when I should have been in production.