Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open holster adjustment and position

Sarge

To start the new season I am considering changing the wear of my open RM holster to a more advantageous position. I pretty much wear it like a production gun I.e. Straight down the seam of my pants. I'm thinking of moving it forward and raising it then tilting it back more to get the grip flattened out a little more. My arms are just long enough that I feel it's a stretch to come up so far the the grip on the draw..

Thoughts? How do you all do it?

I have tried quite a few different holsters and different positions with each. I am currently using a CR speed.

In one of Matt Burkett's video's he talks about the importance of the movement to the gun in the holster feeling natural. I have been trying to end up with it feeling natural and easy as much as possible.

For me, I like to have a natural feeling bend in my drawing arm when the gun is holstered and my hand is on the grip, ready to draw. I like my muzzle to be pointed somewhat forward so that when I draw the gun and it meets my supporting hand it hasn't had to change orientation much. Matt Burkett points out that having the muzzle pointed forward a bit is somewhat of a safety factor in case the trigger is prematurely pressed during a draw.

For my CR Speed holster I have the holster positioned about as low as it can go. I don't have particularly long arms (my knuckles don't drag or anything), but that position feels best for me. I am using the next to largest spacer to get the gun away from my body a bit. I like having some clearance between the thumb of my drawing hand any my body, especially if the weather is cool and I'm wearing a jacket or a heavier shirt. I don't like my thumb running along my body on the way to the draw though, but I know some folks do.

It seems like whenever I've changed the position a bit I have to spent quite a bit of time just drawing so the position and draw gets grooved into muscle memory a bit.

Overall, I think my favorite holster has been the Ghost. Unfortunately it won't work with my current open gun with the Carver mount on it, and even the CR Speed had to be modified a bit.

Sarge, I just tried what you are considering with my DAA Magnetic Race Master. It feels totally unnatural. I'm sure I could get used to it, and it may even be faster. Two of my shooting buddies do just that with their Safariland 014s and they are blazing fast. I moved it back so the hanger was right on my hip bone and the gun angled slightly forward. In that location my hand comes down deeply into the beavertail. Then I just lift a fraction and rotate.

With the holster out front and more horizontal I was very conscious of the move your hand forward, then pull back to draw motion. For me it was slower, but i only spent a couple of hours playing with it. I also tried the mags way forward and almost horizontal like Max Michel. Agian, I thought it was slower, so I moved them back. I guess you can't teach this old dawg new tricks.

Sarge-

Put it where it feels best/most natural for you.

But be careful with a forward cant, it tends to negatively effect a surrender draw and may make getting your thumb over/around the grip safety tang more difficult/unnatural. The slide being generally straight up and down is a good starting point. Sliding the gun forward usually feels better to most shooters and makes getting a grip more natural.

Hello: One thing to try is make the top of the grip parallel to your belt. It can be lower or higher but parallel. Also try moving it a little more forward on your body. Do a little at a time and go too far and then step it back some. Unless you go too far with it you won't know what works for you. A note is if you have it too far forward seated starts are a problem. I think you will find around the pocket area of your favorite jeans will be about right. Thanks, Eric

Sarge-

But be careful with a forward cant, it tends to negatively effect a surrender draw and may make getting your thumb over/around the grip safety tang more difficult/unnatural. The slide being generally straight up and down is a good starting point.

I found this to be true with my Limited set up.

Sarge-

But be careful with a forward cant, it tends to negatively effect a surrender draw and may make getting your thumb over/around the grip safety tang more difficult/unnatural. The slide being generally straight up and down is a good starting point.

When I was shooting a Glock having a more muzzle forward cant didn't seem to be hindering my draw but, with the 2011 I kept catching the grip safety tang with my thumb during surrender draws. I now run it almost perfectly vertical and positioned near the upper corner of my front pocket and as low as possible.

Sarge-

Forward cant? Why would anyone do that. I was talking about canting the gun back so the grip is more level with the belt

Sarge-

Forward cant? Why would anyone do that. I was talking about canting the gun back so the grip is more level with the belt

I guess its I wasn't clear. My reference is the muzzle, yours is the grip. We're talking about the same thing.

I run a DAA on my Cheely and have it set a little forward of where I place my production/singlestack rig, but like you mentioned have canted the holster to level the backstrap. Have used this setup for about 8 months, and find it to be comfortable. My issue is magazine placement, slows down the support hand on he draw. I occasionally transition between division and have not seen any issue with the setup between the DAA, Stoeger DOH, and Stoeger belt level positions. When setting up the holster I try to keep the touch points with hands at sides along my forearm. The only difference between the holsters is how far I need to raise my arm to acquire the grip. There may be better or faster locations to place the holster on my belt, but since I shoot multiple divisions I try to keep the index similar between platforms. From what I have experienced, the further forward you place the holster the closer the backstrap comes to perpendicular with the ground.

Good point Shadow. My reference point is also the muzzle. My holster is now set up so that the slide is not perpendicular to the ground. It is angled, with the muzzle forward by not quite enough to make the grip parallel to the ground.

Hello: One thing to try is make the top of the grip parallel to your belt. It can be lower or higher but parallel. Also try moving it a little more forward on your body. Do a little at a time and go too far and then step it back some. Unless you go too far with it you won't know what works for you. A note is if you have it too far forward seated starts are a problem. I think you will find around the pocket area of your favorite jeans will be about right. Thanks, Eric

EXACTLY !!!