Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 vs 1911

Cundiff5535

Other than the frame and mag count, is there a huge difference between the two platforms? I am a 1911 guy and have several Semicustom and Custom guns... I do not have any 2011's though. I probably would not compete with one but, I am still curious.

Also, I have been told in the past that buying an SVI is not worth the money if I were to just a 1911?

Speaking of SVI... a buddy of mine explained SVI to me like this. "I would call SVI a semi custom gun, its actually a piece of modern day engineering. The other guys like Chambers and Rodgers are true custom guns that are more works of art". Anyone here agree with that?

If I were to buy a 2011, is SVI considered that top of the line?

Looking forward to thoughts and replies!

I wonder if your buddy is confusing STI with SVI.

STI is actually a production gun with a good design and features. The fit and finish on them isn't always the highest caliber (my Edge has some machining marks inside the slide).

SVI in my opinion is about as custom as they come. They don't actually even have product names and you have to make a decision on absolutely every piece and part of the gun. Slide options, frame options, stippling, which SVI Grips do you want?

http://sviguns.com Check out that link and you will see what I mean about having to make a decision on every aspect of the gun.

I'm not familiar with the two gunsmiths you mentioned so can't comment in any way about them.

My friend just got his 1911 from SVI and it is a thing of beauty.

No, he meant SVI not STI... I am familiar with the differences. I have been to Brandins website and gun builder page... Seems higher than semi custom as you have a "menu" to choose from... A bit different than true custom where you can choose every single detail down to the finish and texture of a pin. From the way the sights are design is milled to whatever you can imagine... SVI seems like they make all the stuff they offer in house and you order it based off those specific parts...

That wasn't the actual point of my thread though... I was looking for thoughrs on SVI being a top tier choice in 1911 pistol or, is it more ideal for 2011 platform?

SVI is a complete one off custom. Every part is made in-house. They are the BEST!

I know Chuck Rodgers very well and he is a badass machinist (Built my first open gun in '86) but all of his customs start with some other manufactures parts. He is amazing but you are comparing apples to oranges.

I build all of my own guns but if I were to have anyone else build me a 1911 it would be Brandon. You can get anything you want from SVI with superior quality and precision.

No, he meant SVI not STI... I am familiar with the differences. I have been to Brandins website and gun builder page... Seems higher than semi custom as you have a "menu" to choose from... A bit different than true custom where you can choose every single detail down to the finish and texture of a pin. From the way the sights are design is milled to whatever you can imagine... SVI seems like they make all the stuff they offer in house and you order it based off those specific parts...

That wasn't the actual point of my thread though... I was looking for thoughrs on SVI being a top tier choice in 1911 pistol or, is it more ideal for 2011 platform?

if you want something you dont see listed on the gun builder all you do is enter it in a comments when you submit your order. The gun builder is really a list of things you have to choose, not a list of all the things you are allowed to choose.

Edited by amish_rabbi

if you want something you dont see listed on the gun builder all you do is enter it in a comments when you submit your order. The gun builder is really a list of things you have to choose, not a list of all the things you are allowed to choose.

There are things they won't do. You'll never see holes or slotting through a slide on factory SVI. While you have plenty of choices, SVI guns always look like SVI guns, and it's something I really appreciate.

JL

V1911, yes they machine their own barrels. For the most part, with the exception of using other manufactures' parts, they will do just about anything you want so long as it won't affect the gun's reliability or longevity. Not long ago, a customer wanted a diamond or some other gem stone inserted into the grip. Brandon didn't say no......

While I love Infinity pistols, I wouldn't consider them show pieces like the Chambers and Rodgers. They are built with the best parts available (their's) and they are made to run like machine guns for thousands and thousands of rounds.

There are things they won't do. You'll never see holes or slotting through a slide on factory SVI. While you have plenty of choices, SVI guns always look like SVI guns, and it's something I really appreciate.

JL

Ah yes good point about the slotting.

Generally speaking, the main difference is grip size and capacity. The majority of wide body guns are polymer, but can also be had in aluminum, steel, stainless steel, and titanium. The material, grip size, and texture is purely preference; but unlike grip panels is a permanent modification. There are a number of manufacturers that make wide body grips, and aside from purchasing one to find out yourself attending a level II match would be your best bet to handle one. Another difference between the 1911 & 2011 would be the frame size/contour. Depending on your personal preference there are short, long, picitanny, and butler cut options available on 2011 style guns. When you combine the grip and frame style combinations you can create a lower that handles the way you want. Some prefer a lighter faster transitioning gun, while others prefer a flat shooting gun that is a little heavier. With a 1911 you get what you get and can add a few items to meet your preference. With a 2011 you can order a production package, or go ala carte with a custom builder.

Other than the frame and mag count, is there a huge difference between the two platforms? I am a 1911 guy and have several Semicustom and Custom guns... I do not have any 2011's though. I probably would not compete with one but, I am still curious.

Also, I have been told in the past that buying an SVI is not worth the money if I were to just a 1911?

Speaking of SVI... a buddy of mine explained SVI to me like this. "I would call SVI a semi custom gun, its actually a piece of modern day engineering. The other guys like Chambers and Rodgers are true custom guns that are more works of art". Anyone here agree with that?

If I were to buy a 2011, is SVI considered that top of the line?

Looking forward to thoughts and replies!

Single stack Infinity pistols are pretty rare, but they are fine guns as well........

IMG_2342_zps48540885.jpg

JWard79 hit the design differences quite well. I'd also point out that 1911 vs 2011 is also a decision that is motived by what games you want to play and what divisions you want to shoot. I went 1911 because I really wanted to do USPSA Single Stack after doing production for awhile. 2011 pistols are used for USPSA Limited and, with the proper modifications, USPSA Open. You'll also see them in the pistol portion of multi-gun games.

I went SVI for my 1911 USPSA Single Stack build and it's pretty much ruined me for any other builder. My options are pretty much limitless from the SVI perspective, but making the pistol USPSA Single Stack legal limited my choices a bit so that what I ended up with would conform with the rules for Single Stack. I can also use it for L10 which I'm planning on doing if I can get lucky and get a nationals slot this year through the wait list.

SVI offers a fantastic product and the customer service is exception. You'l get very responsive and knowledgable support out of the factory, but then you also have members of Team Blue here at Enos and showing up at most major matches and they're all great brand ambassadors.