Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrades with kadet compatability

ny700

I'm looking at CGW up grades for my SP01. I want to reduce the da/SA trigger pull and was also consider the 85c trigger and short reset kit, but I run the kadet conversion a lot and just want to make sure that I don't mess with reliability as it's been flawless out of the box.

Are there any specific things I need to do or need to avoid to hit the balance between both uppers

Thanks

To run the Kadet reliably you will need to keep the mainspring weight high. around 17# or greater.

This will make your DA heavy, but your SA can be in the 2.5# to 3.5# range pretty easy.

Agreed I have 2 shadows both with light springs to achieve low DA for production and I eventually gave up on my Kadet. I was just unwilling to rebuild my gun with heavy trigger pull each time I wanted to practice with 22. Took a 15#+ spring to get to 100% on the kadet. I run a 8.5 or 11.5 so no way to make it work.

In general, as EERW said, a 17# hammer spring is required to get the Kadet to light off the 22 rounds 100% of the time. A 15 will work, say, 90% of the time. Some people have been a little luckier. I just converted my 75B to SAO, and leave the 17 in it all the time but I don't shoot IDPA or other run/gun matches with it either. I have about 31k rounds through one now. I did swap springs back a forth for a while, but that defeated the purpose of training with the 22, in my opinion, due to the heavy DA pull from the draw compared to the 11-13# centerfire hammer spring pull.

Joe

So my initial game plan was to upgrade with an 85c trigger short reset and reach reduction system from CGW and also add the race hammer, SS guide rod and new wire recoil spring for it. Will that as is function with the kadet just leaving the main spring alone ? And if so would someone hazard a gues on pull weight. If the DA pull stays as is at say 12#. I'm ok with that as long as it's a bit shorter reach. But I want to get that SA pull closer to 3.5# short and quick

I think you will be fine with that setup and the stock main spring. My Kadet host frame is full of CGW parts and the SA pull is a little over 2 lbs with the 17 lb spring. I think it has always been in the 2-3 lb range. Even with the 17 lb mainspring I don't think your DA pull will be close to 12 lb. Maybe 8-9, but those that run DA/SA should be of more help to you here on what to expect than me, since mine is SAO.

Joe

That's fine. Personally I'd just swap hammer springs as needed. It's a 1 min job tops and 40 seconds of that is to remove and refit the grips.

17lb for the kadet and 13lb or less for centre fire. SA will feel basically the same between them but da will be much better. Also depending on what game you're playing with the kadet you can possibly draw/shoot cocked and locked meaning you never Fire it da. If youre using it as a training substitute for your centre fire a heavier da pull is nothing compared to the different sights and massive recoil difference so personally I wouldn't handicap myself with a heavy da centre fire pull just for 'consistentcy'.