Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issue

ipscjoe

Wanted to ask here to see what people. Pretty sure I know what to do but wanted to ask.

I decided to try 124 mg's and autocomp (gun groups great with my load) I've shot thousands and thousands of 145grain lead round nose bullets through my gun and magazines with no issues what so ever and I tried multiple mags so I'm positive it's not that. It's not the extractor because all the stoppages the rim was no where near going under the hook. So it must be my length.

I was told that I would have to go shorter and was suggested 1.240. Admittedly I'm 1.240-1.241 Should I go shorter ? 1.235 or so? Most stoppages were nose up against the edge of the hood, but I had a single failure that stopped dead straight in the middle of the ramp. Any advice is appreciated.

Was raining.

992A4DDF-CB7A-41C5-9958-CC7C16CC06AC_zps

11D5A38E-D6AF-4061-8FC5-1CE8D1E2F2B8_zps

EEDD99F0-61CC-4B61-858F-B0E1069D46FF_zps

Not the last round. Loaded like 10 rounds or more at a time but never the last. I have no idea why people like these hollow points. And I bought a dang case too.

Refuse to bend the lips on magazines that have worked perfectly until I changed bullets. Think if I can't get these to work I'll sell them and buy round nose fmj's. Would rather clean a little lead out my comp (I shot bare lead for years ) than fight jams.

I couldn't tell from the picture if its JHP or RN. You did say that you have no isuues with RN. If you are having an issues with MG JHP, switch to 124 CMJ or FMJ.

38 SC Mg 124 hp's 1364 fps. Never plunked a bullet in my life. Doesn't that measure the max oal to the ojive? Not sure why that would make a difference if the round never even chambers.

I am going to try 1.235 and if that doesn't work in going back to round nose bullets. Most likely mg 124 fmj's

Yes my rn 145'd still work and have always worked. That's why this is so frustrating. They are 1.245

Yes I am but the round never touched it every time it stopped. Was wedged between the disconnector rail and the back of the hood. Round was being pushed from the mag and jumped up and stopped on the back of the hood.

What weight recoil spring are you using?

I saw that with a brand new open gun when I was testing out spring weights. When I went too heavy, it would short stroke and look just like your pic. I went to a lighter weight and didn't have any further issues.

38 SC Mg 124 hp's 1364 fps. Never plunked a bullet in my life. Doesn't that measure the max oal to the ojive? Not sure why that would make a difference if the round never even chambers.

I am going to try 1.235 and if that doesn't work in going back to round nose bullets. Most likely mg 124 fmj's

Yes my rn 145'd still work and have always worked. That's why this is so frustrating. They are 1.245

The plunk test is simply trying to drop a loaded round into the chamber with the slide removed to see if it freely falls in. Measuring the distance to the lands is an entirely different thing. The plunk test is a simple way to see if your loaded rounds fit your chamber easily.

1.230". You can shorten by .005 to .010 for JHP's. Check your spring and follower for proper angle and tilt. I have used Grams with great success. I run 8-9# springs. I have run for years without failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Going to give it a try on Friday. Loaded a couple hundred between 1.230 and 1.235 Hard to get consistent lengths with the tips of these. I'll check back wether they work or not.

Checo......been using grams springs and followers for years as well. Good point though.

Tried it again today with 1.230 - 1.235. Now instead of stopping on the back of the hood they stop in the ramp itself. Only have to barely tap the slide and then it closes on round. Probably would work with a 10 pound spring , but I've given up. I have area 1 in a couple of months and need to have something working to at least practice with in the meantime.

Ordered a case of 124 fmj's and they came today. So I'm good. I know those work and I can go back to 1.245 which I know runs. Thanks everyone.

9C4E4A64-C8CF-43AA-A9D5-C73780D85737_zps

I went thru the same thing with my 38s Trubor. It will shoot RN all say long but not JHP (both Zero & MG). RN also on the new 9 major, don't want to take a chance with HP.

• 1 month later...

I did. Apparently the 9/super comp aftecs are much tighter in the channel than the 38supers are. I had cut like half the coils (almost) off both springs and still had stoppages.

I put an older 38 super aftec in and it works perfectly now and it's using FULL length springs. Sucks because I have a brand new aftec that I won't put in my gun now.