Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production equipment help

Dad

My son shot his 1st USPSA match this past weekend.

He is shooting an XDM 3.8 full size 9mm in Production class.

He used the kit holster and double mag holder.The holster seemed to work ok but the mag holder has the mags opposing in a V shape

and he seemed to have a little trouble pulling the back mag.

What mag holder would be good for him with just a plain belt?

He also has a full size 1911 he wants to shootin Single Stak at some point but does not have a holster or other equipment.

Thanks

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Blade-Tech-Single-Mag-Pouch-BLACK-RIGHT-P129.aspx

this is what i use for my various glocks, and they should make them for xdm. get the singles v the doubles so you can space them as you want them, even though a little more expensive. they have tabs that let you fit them appropriately for different width belts.

while you're at it, check out the blade tech DOH holsters too, way better than the stuff that comes with the xdms.

same recipe for your 1911.

If you do a search I think there were a few threads recently about preferred mag pouches for Production. I would definitely agree with davsco to get all single pouches and not doubles since they're much more flexible with how you want to place them. But I wouldn't recommend the Blade Tech pouches (if you do want them though they're half that price on Amazon). The Blade Tech pouch is pretty big and bulky so takes up too much space for Production. For Production I run 5 pouches so want them to each take up as little space as possible. I like Ready Tactical pouches because they take up the least amount of space, that's what I use for Production and Single Stack (can buy them at CPWSA). You could get CR Speed pouches which have inserts that'll work for all different kinds of mags, but you're not going to want to keep switching them back and forth between Production and Single Stack.

Oh and those V shaped double mag pouches are terrible, especially the ones where they have each mag pointing a different direction. You want to have the bullets facing forward (or some like facing out), but definitely not facing to the rear.

My son shot his 1st USPSA match this past weekend.

He is shooting an XDM 3.8 full size 9mm in Production class.

He used the kit holster and double mag holder.The holster seemed to work ok but the mag holder has the mags opposing in a V shape

and he seemed to have a little trouble pulling the back mag.

What mag holder would be good for him with just a plain belt?

He also has a full size 1911 he wants to shootin Single Stak at some point but does not have a holster or other equipment.

Thanks

Yep those mag holders need some better engineering. I think the concept was they would work for righties or lefties, but fail for both since the rear mag is angled akward. On the cheap, the safariland slim line of mag holders work well. You can get a double or triple for less then 20 bucks. I like them since they fit a variety of mags for 9 and 40 from glock, XD, M&P, Sig, etc. Just get a a G17 mag pouch and it will fit multiple 9 & 40 double stack magazines. Safariland also makes them for 19111 magazines. You can get several mags in a small space on your belt.