Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

255gr FP 45ACP WST Load Needed

WYgunner

I did a search on the forum and found a little bit of information, but it was sparse. Does anyone have a 255g FP 45acp load using WST? I will be loading Xtreme plated bullets for use in a 625JM. I was going to start with 4.0gns loaded at 1.265." Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to the data as well. I've ordered some 255's from Xtreme, but i'm looking to work with 700x since I have been happy with the results using 230's in my 625 so far.

The only data I have is for 3.6gn of Solo 1000 for 685fps and 175 PF.

4.1gn is the start load for 230gn bullets, and yours is "significantly" heavier.

Solo 1000 being faster, I would start at 3.5-3.6gn just for added safety, but you're on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. The first load I tried was a 255g Extreme flat point over 3.6gns of WST loaded at 1.265" OAL with a crimp of 0.470." Brass was mixed, primers were Federal LP and the temperature was approximately 60 degrees. This load produced the following velocities: 509, 549, 560, 558, 524. The average was 540fps. There was an outlier of 59 which was removed because it was obviously an error.

For the second load, I decided to shorten the OAL because it seemed fairly close to the end of the chamber. I shortened the load to 1.230" with all other factors unchanged besides temperature which was approximately 50 degrees. This load produced velocities of 562, 604, 600, 614, 568 and 513fps. The average velocity was 576fps.

Both loads were fairly light and the primers didn't look flat although we all know primers may not give us a true understanding of pressure. I think these loads are very dependent on powder position using such small charges as shown in the variances above. I am hoping that going with the shorter OAL will assist in reducing variances.