Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting my first AR build (and DO's and DONT'S)

Darianis

So I went out and got myself set of stripped AR receivers :) Brownell’s had a good sale and well what ya gonna do.

What I'd like to do is build up a decent match rifle for shooting 3 gun. I have some ideas having shot a few matches but it's been a while and I have never built one from parts before. I'd like to have the complete rifle come in at under $1500(not counting the receivers I already have).

With all that being said what is your collective advice on parts selection? What are the pit falls of building an AR that I should avoid?

Thanks for reading and answering.

get the upper receiver squared and trued.

get a good free floated hand guard. Just built an 18" fluted satern barrel with an SLR hand guard

get a good barrel. The stretch barrels look interesting and will likely be my next build

lightweight or reg BC buy a good one.

IF you got a good upper receiver, then you need a good barrel and a good barrel nut/hand guard...everything else is frosting.

Trigger and barrel are what make the gun. Free floating helps as well. Any thing after that is frosting. :)

Fancy doo-dads wont make the gun shoot better, just easier/faster to use.

I'll agree with what has been said thus far and add:

I like the Rock River NM 2 stage LPK's, followed VERY closely by the CMMG's.

If you want something BETTER than this, step up to a dedicated trigger group like the Geissle's (sp?) or CMC.

On the build process for the lower, I have found these videos to be great:

Get the right tools for the job. I use the little crow gun works roll pin pusher when I'm not building on a lower with the trigger guard built in. Quality barrel, BCG, and trigger. Barrel: I'm a fan of Daniel Defense barrels (light weight or not), Trigger: SD3G, and BCG: Youngs manufacturing (light weight or not). Aeroshell 33MS. Right tools for the job.

I Square the upper up on every AR15 I build. For me it is worth it as its only a few min job and I have seen it make an improvement even on factory guns with accuracy. That is one thing that I see most people skip out on and just throw the barrel on. What I use is the brownells tool with valve lapping compound from my local auto store. On the trigger guard pin, make sure you brace the back side of the tab when installing the pin or you can snap it off. Also invest in some good roll pin punches and roll pin holders as they make it go much easier and nicer. You can get by without the roll pin holders with a third hand but they are worth buying. When installing the bolt catch pin either use a specialty tool for that or use a long pin punch and go carefully. also when installing that, cover the side in tape where the punch will be to prohibit any scratches especially if not using the specialty pin punch.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/dissassembly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

I would suggest reading a lot and getting a really good idea in mind of what you want, how much you want pre-assembled, the degree of accuracy, barrel length, gas system, etc, etc. In particular if you are going for a 3-gun rig, hunting, target, etc.

There are a lot of discussions on this board about the pros and cons of different things. Spend a few days to a week digging through them and then start asking some specific questions.

Edited by Graham Smith

• 4 weeks later...

Get a set of roll pin punches, vice blocks, best combo wrench you can find (I picked up a heavy DPMS wrench somewhere along the way)

Mask off the area when putting the bolt release control and driving the tiny roll pin in. Easy to scratch the receiver with your tool in that area.

JP Barrel kit. Either 18 or 16. Comes with adjustable gas, tube and JP comp. Halfway there.

Good quality upper and lower. There are several really good triggers. For the money, the CMC flat 3.5 lb cannot be beat.

I run hyper fires and cmc's. 9 out of 10 people can't tell them apart unless i have the 2.5 lb springs installed.

Several good choices on hand guards. One of the best right now is the BCM KMR. Ultra light and solid.

You can go with a reduced mass bolt to lessen felt recoil. Several out there, I lime the AP Rhino. JP captured springs. With this setup you can tune the gun to your desires.

One other thing, I just started using Gibbz side charging uppers. Very high quality and i like the ergonomics of the side chargers.

That is just a start towards your target budget:)

Like everyone else says...invest in the tools to be able to do the work yourself. Once you figure out the specs you want to build to, shop for good deals on good quality parts...you get what you pay for on some parts. www.ar15.com has a lot of links you can shop at...one I have purchased from is Rainier Arms, they make quality parts and offer a lot of other makes as well and their customer service is great. There are many more obviously, that is just one I have used with my builds.

You are going to have trouble getting the roll pins into the lower receiver without a pin holder/pusher combo. I think that if I recall, the bolt release is the most difficult and you can bang up the lower a little. Getting the detents for the push pins is tough too. No trouble with anything else.

Jon

• 3 months later...

I would buy a rifle kit from Palmetto state armory, they have several to choose from. I would learn how to put one together shoot it and then learn what I truly wanted and needed and build the dream rifle from top quality parts then. You can still buy a JP upper? Pretty good stuff there and build a good lower you will be in the game. Then you have 2 rifles 1 for 3 gun 1 to pass down to a child or sell it to a buddy and recoup some or all of your money

• 4 weeks later...