Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The latest sillyness from UPS

Since this topic has been posted to again... I met and spoke with both our regular USPS driver (who always brings packages to the door and rings the bell) as well as a UPS driver who works in the area and here is what they told me.

They both said that official policy is to bring packages to the door and ring the bell and wait to see if there is a reply. If not, then leave the package unless a signature is required. However, there are areas where packages should never be left due to a high rate of theft and these are well known to the drivers.

The unofficial policy is to work as fast as you can. There are areas that are considered safe and where drop and run is common practice. Not delivering a package to these areas because no one was home is almost never done, even in cases where signatures are required. Time is money to these carriers and complaints are a cheap price to pay.

Here is what I have picked up from other people I have spoken with or seen comments from. As long as they get their package, few people will complain to the carrier or the shipper, even if it's left without a signature.

• 3 months later...