Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The latest sillyness from UPS

Here is the verbatim text from an online chat I had today with UPS.

Online Chat with UPS

Linda L (Listening)

Linda L: Hi, this is Linda L. I'll be happy to assist you.

Graham: Ever since I moved to this new area, UPS just drops off packages on the front porch or the garage without ringing the bell or knocking.

Linda L: I'm sorry the driver didn't make you aware that they were there.

Graham: Is there any way to ensure this happens? I get a lot of packages and it's all the time for over 6 months.

Linda L: I recommend you signing up for the free membership for My Choice http://www.ups.com/mychoiceif it was sent to your residence.

Graham: What is that?

Linda L: You will know when packages are attempted or delivered. You can select where you want them left as well.

Graham: Yes, but I'm right here, in the house, when the deliveries come!!

Linda L: You can put a note on the door asking them to knock or ring the bell

Graham: Isn't that standard practice? It's been that way any where else I've lived.

Linda L: Yes it is.

Graham: Then can you give me an idea why the driver(s) here don't do that?

Linda L: I'm sorry but no I can't .

Graham: Can you give me some idea as to who I can speak with who can give me an answer?

Linda L: No customer center is staffed for incoming calls so unless you go to the location I don't have a number to provide you with.

Graham: So, I should go to the local UPS Office?

Linda L: You can if you wish...

Graham: You do understand that this is just a tiny bit silly don't you?

Edited by Graham Smith

Local man fixes UPS delivery using this one weird trick! UPS delivery man hate him!

Seriously, sign up for UPS mychoice or whatever they call their portal thing.

Then when you get a package notification, log in and click on "Provide delivery instructions" and one of the options is a "Leave at" menu which includes options such as "Door Person, Concierge, Management Office, Superintendent". You can even make that your default.

Then makes yourself a paper hat labeled "Concierge" or whatever and see if they bother to actually ring the bell and do as requested. If they don't, then you can have a real complaint for not following your directions :)

Fight the system, using the system. Power to the people!!

Edited by Vlad

Graham: You do understand that this is just a tiny bit silly don't you?

Nice Monty Python finish! :)

Never did get a response to that line.

What I didn't mention is that FedEx and the Post Office are prone to doing the same thing. Our regular mail carrier is a nice lady who always brings a package to the door and rings the bell but if she's not working that day, who knows.

And I get the fact that if a package says to just leave it, they can do so, but why they can't take the extra second to ring the bell that is right there in front of them is beyond me. Is it really that much of a burden????

Get a dog. Mine just barks whenever a delivery person drops something off, so he is like the doorbell they never pressed. Which to be fair would be hard to do anyway, as I don't have one, they'd have to use the knocker.

The only time my UPS driver knocks is when he needs a signature. Always been that way, clear back to the Pony Express days. :roflol:

I usually hear the truck, but no big deal if I don't. Of course I do not live in a residential area, and never would! Country boy ;)

What I didn't mention is that FedEx and the Post Office are prone to doing the same thing. Our regular mail carrier is a nice lady who always brings a package to the door and rings the bell but if she's not working that day, who knows.

And I get the fact that if a package says to just leave it, they can do so, but why they can't take the extra second to ring the bell that is right there in front of them is beyond me. Is it really that much of a burden????

Same out here where I live. I all but worship my regular mail carrier, she is #1.

Now if she isn't here, or has the day off after a weekday holiday I am lucky to get anything delivered. In many cases whoever subs for her just outright seems to neglect delivering my mail. In the cases that he/she does actually deliver something it is to leave a registered mail slip in my box, never attempting to knock on my door and deliver......

Now that I'm looking at this, I'm seeing that this is an issue all across the country and has been for a few years now. I've lived in a metropolitan area for the past 25yrs and a package left on a porch will be there for about 30 seconds before the guys following the UPS driver around have picked it up.

I was a UPS delivery driver for 12 years and just to be clear this is a rough job. I mean you basically have to run the package to the door and run back to get done with the number of stops they give you and get off in less than 10 hours...... However, I knocked or rang the bell at every stop.... It is standard procedure. If I heard someone coming I would usually wait and hand it to the person. Most drivers won't do that. Waiting for a signature gave so much anxiety I can't even tell you. People are slow. Lol I remember delivering computer parts to a Muslim couple almost daily. If the man wasn't home I would have to wait for the woman to cover herself from head to toe before she would open the door. Panick attack lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The best and easiest response for you is simply put a note on the door.

"UPS please knock or ring the bell. I am home."

If this doesn't work then you start calling.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

USPS delivered my CRUMS welded lifter to me (MO to GA) via Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. 2 day air ended up being 10 day.

Had FEdEx blame a late shipment on "bad weather locally, rain". I lived in Southern California at the time and it hadn't rained in 4 years.

UPS blamed a rock slide one time. Didn't ask on that one.

Go figure. I know a couple of drivers and it is a hard as heck job but the companies just don't want to admit they didn't get it done.

Funny, I just had USPS deliver a package (3 day priority that took4 days) to me in AZ that came from MO and it went through Puerto Rico also??? I figured it was a mistake but it is interesting you had the same thing and they both originated in MO?

Neal in AZ

post-922-0-62726300-1426781018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intel6

Funny, I just had USPS deliver a package (3 day priority that took4 days) to me in AZ that came from MO and it went through Puerto Rico also??? I figured it was a mistake but it is interesting you had the same thing and they both originated in MO?

Neal in AZ

I have always thought that Puerto Rico was an island in the Mississippi.

you are impying it is somewhere else?

where is the tongue-in-cheek emoticom?

We had a rash of packages being stolen off front porches in the area. You would think UPS would want to avoid that and all the angry customer calls and would just give a quick knock or doorbell ring.

There are a few perks to living in a small town. Our UPS guy is one of them. If we get a package that requires a signature and no one is home, he'll swing by my office or the missus' office.

Fed-Ex is a whole nother ball game.

I've had Fed-Ex claim "no one home" on a delivery three days in a row on a required signature delivery. After the first day we put signs on all the doors. After the second day, we called the shipper to explain that Fed-Ex wasn't delivering our package despite Fed-Ex's claim of attempted delivery and how to handle it if the package was returned to shipper. The third day the shipper contacted Fed-Ex and requested the delivery to made with out a signature.

It was finally delivered on the fourth day.

Fed-Ex's customer service was polite and courteous, but offered little explanationas to why the driver continued to claim an attempted delivery when none was made.

Last two packages that were sent to me UPS with signature required were left on my porch without ringing bell and definately did not get my signature. When I checked online for the signature recieved it stated my last name with a random letter in front of it. The last time I was at home and watched the driver toss my package into the porch and walk off. As I got no satisfaction from ups I have now been informing the senders of how thier packages were delivered so they can also file a complaint.

• 4 months later...

Latest addition. MOD 1 serviced Glock slide. Mailed 2 day from Kentucy to South Georgia. Lost for 4 days and after I called complaining it "appeared" in Key West, FL. Then 3 days back to me.

Offers to refund the extra postage: 0.

Explanations: 0.

Have learned the hard way when dealing with USP and IRS you should just take the attitude of "at least they didn't £©®€ it up worse."

We had a rash of packages being stolen off front porches in the area. You would think UPS would want to avoid that and all the angry customer calls and would just give a quick knock or doorbell ring.

Well, I will tell you this much. Around here, if I dont get to the package first.... then many times I dont get it at all. This is a never ending battle. And the BS you get when you complain or file a claim. Crazy ! Guess lost merchandise, or stolen as the case is just is part of their operating cost and recovered in the freight charges.