Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd Brass - Shelf inside

okorpheus

I ran across a few odd pieces of brass as i was sorting my pickups from this weekend. The headstamp is "ammoland." Inside the case, there seems to be a small shelf around the inside - that is, the inner diameter at the bottom of the case is smaller than that at the top of the case. Is this an issue?

I haven't had any problems with it in production, but others say using it will cause global warming, balding, and make your fats smell like petunias!

Don't know about all of that but it is garbage brass that gets tossed.

Have experienced "the internal shelf" with CBC brass.

A non-issue as long as you don't seat deeper than the "shelf". Seating deeper will tie up the gun; the resultant bulge- from base of the bullet seated below the shelf is a problem.

I load them (Ammoload, IMI, FM) for minor loads (practice rounds only). The problem with the bullet shelf seems to appear when loading the brass to major power factors in 9mm. Not necessarily dangerous but the brass can fail at the bullet shelf leaving the upper half of the case hopelessly lodged in the chamber. This could ruin a match.

Here's a picture of the reported Ammoload (IMI, FM) failure.

post-47075-0-86204500-1426597493_thumb.j

I shot a bunch yesterday (147 coated w/WSF and 125 coated w/ TG) and it performed the same as the rest of my brass. Chrono'd the same, no difference. I will load it up and shoot along with the rest of my range brass without concern.

With the reported problems (a portion of the case being left in the chamber) and the fact it can't be detected until a problem occurs, it isn't worth the risk in my opinion. I'd much rather throw away a few dollars worth of brass than a $X,XXX gun and potential injury.

Don't throw it away, save it and used primers and sell them to the local scrap dealer.

Brass isn't worth enough to me to save my used primers and scrap brass to offset the effort and gas to drive to a scrap dealer.

Don't throw it away, save it and used primers and sell them to the local scrap dealer.

Brass isn't worth enough to me to save my used primers and scrap brass to offset the effort and gas to drive to a scrap dealer.

Not to mention the flat tires from driving in and out of the place. :surprise:

I know you are kidding but you aren't. The one scrap metal place I have driven by I'd have to park on the street and walk in and I'd hate to think what my boots will look like when I get back to my truck. :goof:

I know you are kidding but you aren't. The one scrap metal place I have driven by I'd have to park on the street and walk in and I'd hate to think what my boots will look like when I get back to my truck. :goof:

Used to drive work trucks into the local place all the time. I would say we got a flat 25% of the time.