Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sporting clays shotgun

BeckA11416

Looking for a good sporting clays shotgun under $1500. I know i should save my money and spend a little more for a citori or Beretta but probably not going to happen i spend the majority of my time with pistol competitions. I've been looking at a couple o/u's the franchi instinct sl and the cz redhead premier target vs. an auto maxus sporting or a400 excel. I also shoot left-handed. Would be interested in hearing of other options as well.

Edited by BeckA11416

#1, make sure the SG fits or that it can be fit.

When I was looking I tried a Ruger, a friend had one and I wanted an OU. The Ruger was inexpensive, but when I started really looking I found that it didn't fit me out of the box, it was way off. So I tried Beretta and a couple others in the $2500 range, (note where I started, but where I wound up going) until I found a Citori XS Special. It fit and I have not looked back. I need more practice an dI need a minor adjustment to finalize the fit now that I've been using it. Don't cheap out, it is way more expensive to do it twice than to do it right once. The other side of that is you may not need to spend your lungs to get what you want/need. You can shoot sporting clays with an auto and they are a lot less money.

Read this first: http://shotgunreport.com/2012/01/30/seven-steps-to-shotgun-heaven/

The prices are outdated but the advice is not. Before you buy anything go to your range and ask to shoot a variety of guns. As long as you provide factory shells (none of your reloads in my gun please) you'd be surprised how accomodating people will be.

If you just have to buy something DO NOT be seduced by a 28" O/U because of the price unless you're positive that's what you want. 30" or 32" barrels will serve you much better in the long run. Can't go wrong with a used B gun (Browning or Beretta) in O/U.

Many guys are rocking the A400 for sporting clays and that would be my best recommendation for an auto. An older friend of mine, former M shooter now plagued by recoil and gun weight issues recently switched from a Perazzi to the 400 and is shooting better than ever and loving it. I've shot it several times and it's a real shooter but no way am I switching from my K80.

Hello: Since you are left handed I would look at the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1. Joel Etchen sells these discounted just over your budget but they can be had with left hand stocks. I would get the 30" barrels or the 32" depending if you are going to shoot other games like skeet, trap or 5-stand. The A400 is a great gun but lefties seem to not like the ejected hulls in there view. Gun fit is the most important part with a shotgun so if you can try some before you decide it would be better. Thanks, Eric

thanks for the input everyone. I get the feeling i should steer clear of the "budget" o/u's unless i could really get my hands on them and fall in love with one. Seems like my best options are to spend a bit more on a Beretta or Browning or maybe the best option is the A400 and fight the urge for a o/u. Everyone can't be wrong lol.

Fight the auto urge, picking up hulls is a PITA and you will hate the hulls ejecting across your body.

There are lots of good quality used OU in your price range, even a few good quality new ones are in your reach. Get a sporting gun if you are going to shoot clays or you will have to remember to take the gun off safe every time. Nice in the woods, otherwise a pain.

I'll agree with KTM300, fight the urge to shoot SC, Trap or Skeet with an Auto. You'll not have to spend time picking up hulls, you won't have them flinging across your buddies and if you decide to reload, you'll keep your hulls in much better shape.

One other benefit is that you can shoot two different chokes on the same station with an OU.

Do however fight the urge to go an buy without trying. A SG must fit. you can get them fit, but you want to start off with a decent gun if you're going to spend money on it!

I went down this path a decade or so ago. Good advice here on the thread - get a quality/reliable 12 gauge auto with at least 28 inch barrel preferably 30 inch to start. I bought a Browning Gold Sporting Clays from a shooting partner and used that for years (still have it - later taught my son with it). I also bought a Beretta 391 Sporting Clays because they were THE auto of that period (at least in GA). I wanted an OU for all the reasons listed but I am cheap so I shopped around and found a used Browning 325 Euro 32" 12 gauge (lighter barrels with Invector not Invector Plus) and I have shot it ever since.

I was lucky and I met a lot of shooters - there are always some that switch shotguns regularly to the next "best" shotgun - these can be your friends as they sell their "used" shotguns with a few boxes down the tubes. I have done well keeping a little "next shotgun money" in the safe in cash when the opportunity arises!

The rage is for a 30-32 inch barrels. A great number of championships were won with 28 inch barrels. I have a friend who routinely breaks 25 at Trap with a 26 inch barrels.

So if a 28 is in your price range don't automatically discard it.

O/U is the only way to go IMO-some stations require two different chokes. The 'Bs" are great guns. I have one of each but have pretty much standardized on my Beretta. But then again I am just a duffer.

• 3 weeks later...

With patience, you can find a pre-loved 686 White Onyx Sporting in your price range. I paid about $1400 for mine with 32 inch barrels. Great shotgun and the feel of a beretta is preferable to me vs the comparable Browning offerings.

Edited by tha1000

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Beretta and benelli both are best for sporting clays. It is used for every situation, whether you are on the sporting clays or waterfowl hunting. Each choke tube is in the triple threat series mainly marked as T1, T2, and T3 on the extruded end of the choke. The T1 choke tube is mainly designed for skeet shooting, and waterfowl shooting while T2 tube is used for trap shooting and dove hunting and at last T3 is designed for moving targets beyond 40 yards.

I picked up my first clays gun this past fall, found a used Browning Citori Lightning Sporting Clays with adjustable comb stock with recoil piston butt pad.  Came with 2 Muller 2" extended chokes, got it for $900.  Only been out once or twice but so far seems like it was a great used package for getting into the sport.  Best of luck. 

Edited by ksf141

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...