Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speedloader frustrations - How to make speedloader reloads more consis

collards

Sorry title should read: "How to make speedloader reloads more consistent"

I'm still new to the game, but I'm at my wits end with my stock revolver reloads. The aspect I find most frustrating is that I can achieve no consistency when reloading .38s with my jet loaders. Very often, I'll get a quick reload, only to discover that a round has not gone into the chamber completely, which necessitates that I manually push it in with my thumb before closing the cylinder. This costs me tons of time over the course of the match.

I can imagine multiple things causing this. For example, cylinder length for .357 and carbon fouling in cylinders from the shorter .38s, but how do people actually prevent this to get consistently fast reloads?

I am also frustrated at the difficulties in trying to duplicate a true revolver reload in dry fire practice. Issues like case expansion and sticking cases don't come up in dry fire, but they are a constant problem in matches for me.

Thanks!

Edited by collards

This question would get more replies in the revolver forum. Anyone want to move it?

I usually shoot with moonclips, but I've spent a bit of time with HKS and Safariland comp I loaders. For me, I find it causes me trouble when I try to toss the loader to the ground before I close the cylinder. I think it's easy to have slight side pressure on the loader when I hold onto it and pull it away, this can keep the round from fully dropping into the chamber. I have had better luck letting go of the loader and letting it drop on it's own when I close the cylinder.

This question would get more replies in the revolver forum. Anyone want to move it?

I usually shoot with moonclips, but I've spent a bit of time with HKS and Safariland comp I loaders. For me, I find it causes me trouble when I try to toss the loader to the ground before I close the cylinder. I think it's easy to have slight side pressure on the loader when I hold onto it and pull it away, this can keep the round from fully dropping into the chamber. I have had better luck letting go of the loader and letting it drop on it's own when I close the cylinder.

I think this could be the pro tip I'm looking for. I've also struggled to find the best way to get rid of the loader, and what you're describing could very well be what I experience. This could also be why I haven't really reproduced this in practice, because in my dry-fire I'm not in the habit of chucking my speedloaders across the room. Thanks!

you mention case expansion. are you talking about trouble ejecting the fired cases or oversize cases not going in smoothly? if it's the latter then case gauging your loaded ammo will help cut that down (making an assumption you're not doing that).

obviously getting the cylinder cut for moon clips changes the game considerably. not sure if moons are an option for you or not though.

as for any other tips with smooth reloads from the speedloaders/jet loaders I'm all out. not a big revo guy and only play with them from time to time. :)