Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for SP-01 Shadow

d_striker

Planning on picking up a Shadow Target. I just ordered a caliber conversion kit for the 650 and a couple thousand Xtreme 147's to try out.

I plan on working up loads with e3 but was wondering what OAL works best with the Shadow. I've heard you can't load too long for them.

You have to test. I load for my son and myself. 4 CZ 75 pattern, including 2 Shadows, between us. I've had bullets that I could load to SAAMI max and I've had bullets that I could barely make an inch. They are universally shorter than the other 9mms I load for. You have to check your barrel. I use the guidance here:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

The xtreme 147 will be relatively forgiving in that gun compared to some other options. I go 1.13 but there is a little room left. Just do the test and back off a little. That bullet is not a problem for the CZs as some others are.

The xtreme 147 will be relatively forgiving in that gun compared to some other options. I go 1.13 but there is a little room left. Just do the test and back off a little. That bullet is not a problem for the CZs as some others are.

1.130". Wow, that is a short max OAL. I was hoping to try some 165's as well but if mine is similar to yours, it probably won't work.

Edited by d_striker

Do SP-01, or CZ owners for that matter, ever get their barrels reamed out to accept longer loaded ammo. Seems like it would make sense and could be done by a gunsmith pretty quickly. Heavy bullets with fast powders loaded to 1.10" and shorter makes me nervous...

My shadows all run just find up around 1.13 but shot tighter groups down around 1.090. This with 135gn rn frontiers cmj sized 356. So I guess I'm saying don't be afraid to test a few different lengths.

Interesting... I've settled on an OAL of 1.09 using 135 grain Bayou RN bullets. Like you, I've found a little more accuracy going shorter in my Shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by razorfish

Do SP-01, or CZ owners for that matter, ever get their barrels reamed out to accept longer loaded ammo. Seems like it would make sense and could be done by a gunsmith pretty quickly. Heavy bullets with fast powders loaded to 1.10" and shorter makes me nervous...

Yes, some folks get the throat reamed to allow slightly longer OAL, but you can't go crazy, the next constraint you'll hit is the mag, how long overall length can be before bullet drags in the mag, so check that also.

My shadows all run just find up around 1.13 but shot tighter groups down around 1.090. This with 135gn rn frontiers cmj sized 356. So I guess I'm saying don't be afraid to test a few different lengths.

Interesting... I've settled on an OAL of 1.09 using 135 grain Bayou RN bullets. Like you, I've found a little more accuracy going shorter in my Shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely interesting. What kind of accuracy improvement are we talking about? 1/2"? 1"?

Definitely interesting. What kind of accuracy improvement are we talking about? 1/2"? 1"?

I didn't document the results of my testing but from memory I would guess my groups tightened up about 1/2". At the time I was shortening my loads and increasing my power factor to knock down steel (yeah, I know, one thing at a time). I ended up at 1.09 OAL and 133 PF. (Bayou 135gr bullet over 3.6 grains of VV N320 using a CCI SPP and mixed brass) I've always assumed the increased accuracy was due to the extra power of the round, but the shorter OAL may well of been a contributing factor (and possibly the only reason I saw better accuracy).

If I had a range outside my back door I'd find out the answer. As it is I'm far too lazy break down the variables and find the answer :) In general, I hate reloading but love shooting... once I find a suitable load I'm done (until I run out of a particular component anyway). I'm currently working up a load for a 9mm Major open gun. I'm going on two months of procrastinating/testing. I wish guns came with the ideal load recipe printed on the barrel... That would save me a lot of aggravation :)

My loads with Xtreme bullets both shot in a SP01 and a 75B. Both work in factory 16 round mags, Mecgar 16 round mags, Mecgar 17 round mags, and SP01 18 round mags. Both pass the "plunk" test in both barrels. Neither have been reamed.

147 RN

1.145 oal

federal 100 primer

3.2 GN Titegroup

130 PF

165 RN

1.150 oal

Federal 100 primers

2.6 GN Titegroup

132 power factor

1.130". Wow, that is a short max OAL. I was hoping to try some 165's as well but if mine is similar to yours, it probably won't work.

Sorry if I was unclear I can get a little over 1.15 with the xtreme 147s in both of my shadows I just load little shorter to keep loads consistent in velocity across a few different bullets. This bullet in particular is much more forgiving of length than most of the others I use.

Planning on picking up a Shadow Target. I just ordered a caliber conversion kit for the 650 and a couple thousand Xtreme 147's to try out.

I plan on working up loads with e3 but was wondering what OAL works best with the Shadow. I've heard you can't load too long for them.

Unless you are willing to ream out your barrel, you will always be stuck with whatever you were dealt with.

Personally, I like loading my bullets as long as my magazines can handle. My Chrono results and field testing have not shown any difference in velocity/accuracy with my previous loads.

You can call up Manson Reamers and tell them what you are looking to do and they will send you the right reamer. I suggest getting the handle as well.

Just remember to take it slow and only cut what you need. You can always take off more, you can't add any material back. ;)

Edited by himurax13

Sorry if I was unclear I can get a little over 1.15 with the xtreme 147s in both of my shadows I just load little shorter to keep loads consistent in velocity across a few different bullets. This bullet in particular is much more forgiving of length than most of the others I use.

No, I just jumped to conclusions. I guess "a little room" is fairly subjective. It's good to know that you and many others are able to use this bullet out to 1.15".

Like others have mentioned he Xtreme 147gr RN is an incredibly forgiving profile for CZ's. My current load from my CZC Accushadow is:

147gr Xtreme RN

3.1gr E3

Winchester SPP

1.15 OAL

130 PF

Soft, clean and super accurate.