Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making the Switch From Striker Fired Guns

d_striker

I've been shooting XDm's for about 4 years now. The triggers in them are really good and weigh in a little under 3lbs. I've grown very accustomed to this weight trigger for every shot.

I'm seriously thinking about making the switch to a Shadow Target but I'm on the fence about the DA trigger pull. I'm not sure if it will be easy to switch to a 6-8lb DA first shot.

For all of you that were previously shooting a striker fired pistol with a decent trigger, how was the transition?

I shot an XDm with the competition PRP trigger in it prior to my CZ. It took a bit of dry firing but the transition was very easy and took less than a month for me to feel 100% confident. When you get your Shadow swap out the hammerspring with the 8.5 lb CGW spring and your DA will easily be sub 4 lbs. Additionally, I try to draw and shoot on a closer target or one with no hard cover or no shoots around it if I can.

I shot an XDm with the competition PRP trigger in it prior to my CZ. It took a bit of dry firing but the transition was very easy and took less than a month for me to feel 100% confident. When you get your Shadow swap out the hammerspring with the 8.5 lb CGW spring and your DA will easily be sub 4 lbs. Additionally, I try to draw and shoot on a closer target or one with no hard cover or no shoots around it if I can.

I think I can handle a 4lb DA pull. Thanks.

Though, I don't like the idea of having to draw to an easier target to compensate for the DA shot.

Edited by d_striker

Just remember that once you go to the 8.5# hammer spring you are now only able to shoot Federal primers. My ACCU was in the 7# range out of the box until I did the swap.

Just remember that once you go to the 8.5# hammer spring you are now only able to shoot Federal primers. My ACCU was in the 7# range out of the box until I did the swap.

Yup, I figured as much. I already only use Federal primers with my XDm's.

I just looked at the 8.5# CJW spring. They recommend an extended firing pin. Do you run one?

The DA is not what will get you. It's the transition to single action.

I came from a M&P with a 2.5-2.75lb trigger to a cz SP-01 with a 6lb DA / 2.75lb SA trigger.

With a little practice the DA is easy to deal with. I had more issues with the SA because I was breaking shots just a split second too soon due to the reduced pre travel.

The CZ trigger feels lighter than it measures in comparison to a striker fired trigger. Most people who have handled my gun think the SA is at 2 lbs.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I if you ever want to shoot one of my guns I tend to run at the same matches as you and I have my CZs set up very light. But the last thing I need is for you to have a better gun to smoke me with even worse... But seriously if you need any help with these guns let me know I have done a lot of work on them over the years.

Make the switch and never look back, I did !!

DA is no different than the prp trigger I had in my 5.25. CZ has the cool factor too which will give you more confidence.

I ordered one about a month ago. The 8 week lead time is killing me!

When you get your gun work on the DA/SA transition. You will easily master the DA but if your like me will tend to throw the SA shot. I noticed today while doing transitions that I have a nice tight group on the second target (SA only) but the first target has one A zone hit and then a C directly to the left. Apparently I'm hitting the first shot and then pulling my second and the trigger changes. Nothing that some range time and patience won't fix but I can definitely tell a difference in split times on the first two shots compared to the next two that are SA only.

When you get your gun work on the DA/SA transition. You will easily master the DA but if your like me will tend to throw the SA shot. I noticed today while doing transitions that I have a nice tight group on the second target (SA only) but the first target has one A zone hit and then a C directly to the left. Apparently I'm hitting the first shot and then pulling my second and the trigger changes. Nothing that some range time and patience won't fix but I can definitely tell a difference in split times on the first two shots compared to the next two that are SA only.

Weird. You're certain your not pulling the DA shot left?

I thought the same thing but it doesn't look like it. I take my time on the first shot and make sure and have a good sight picture and then rush the second shot trying to get my splits down. If I slow down I can get consistent two Alphas from a draw at 1.9 seconds, 1.4-1.5 first shot and then .4 split. This is at 12-15 yards. When I try to go fast is when the horizontal string happens.

• 2 weeks later...

You will probably want to get the Extended Firing pin spring with the 8.5# hammer spring. I would give Dave a call at CGW and let him talk you through everything if you are new to the platform. He will make sure you are getting exactly what you need.

You will probably want to get the Extended Firing pin spring with the 8.5# hammer spring. I would give Dave a call at CGW and let him talk you through everything if you are new to the platform. He will make sure you are getting exactly what you need.

Not sure if you're talking to me or elsos, but mine from CZC comes with it.