Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Extraction Trouble

Racinready300ex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I built a Glock for open and can't seem to cure my extraction problems. I'm using a load of 125 mg over 7625 making 165 pf and get rounds that don't extract. Empty brass stays in barrel extractor slips over rim. slide cycles and tries to chamber the next round.

I tested some new loads today hoping a better powder would cure my problem. But at 175 of with HS6 I got another fte. I have a apex extractor in the gun.

Thanks

I'll bet you a dollar that brass is your issue. I recently started shooting an open class Glock 34 and had the occasional failure to extract. Was frustrating! However, i was using mixed stamp range brass. Per Zev's recommendation I purchased some Starline brass and it completely fixed my issue! No failures, not one! I've even experimented with the number of reloads I can do with each case. (I mark them different colors depending upon number of reloads) So my race gun is a brass snob, but so what. I can still get at least several reloads per case and I have confidence going into a match. I would try that first. Apparently it has something to do with expansion and contraction and timing. Not really sure about the physics, but it made sense to me that at the higher pressures of major that different and used or unknown cases would expand and contract differently and consequently act accordingly. Give it whirl! :cheers:

I put a 40 cal ejector in my 9mm open Glock. It hits the brass a little higher and will eject more horizontal. This way it doesn't hit the cmore.

Let me know how that works. I can see stripping the rim off since its grabbing less of it.

I put a 40 cal ejector in my 9mm open Glock. It hits the brass a little higher and will eject more horizontal. This way it doesn't hit the cmore.

Let me know how that works. I can see stripping the rim off since its grabbing less of it.

An ejector hits the case it doesn't grab it...that'd the extractor that does that