Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Extraction Trouble

Racinready300ex

I built a Glock for open and can't seem to cure my extraction problems. I'm using a load of 125 mg over 7625 making 165 pf and get rounds that don't extract. Empty brass stays in barrel extractor slips over rim. slide cycles and tries to chamber the next round.

I tested some new loads today hoping a better powder would cure my problem. But at 175 of with HS6 I got another fte. I have a apex extractor in the gun.

Thanks

I've ordered a white sound spring, and the white 40 non LCI SLB from what I've read that is the longest. I'll probably polish my chamber one night this week too. Then if I have to I may try shimming the spring to add a little more tension. We'll see how it goes once the parts get here.

Brass is all once fired, and I size with a Lee U-die. That said you bring up a good point. I haven't shot much factory ammo through the gun, and I think I recall it happening once with a factory load. But I'm not sure. I don't have much factory ammo on hand, but maybe this weekend when I got the range I will run the 100-150 rounds I have through it and see what happens.

I had a apex extractor already, I added the white sound plunger set up. And just for good measure I added a small shim to add extra tension to the spring. It may be overkill but it's working. I'd still like to get more rounds down range to be sure though. I've only got about 250 through it now. Will be shooting the 1st USPSA match of the season here this weekend. I'm hoping for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

I built a Glock for open and can't seem to cure my extraction problems. I'm using a load of 125 mg over 7625 making 165 pf and get rounds that don't extract. Empty brass stays in barrel extractor slips over rim. slide cycles and tries to chamber the next round.

I tested some new loads today hoping a better powder would cure my problem. But at 175 of with HS6 I got another fte. I have a apex extractor in the gun.

Thanks

What is the added benefit of the Apex extractor? Is it better than the stock one?

From the Apex sight...

"Machined from a billet of aerospace grade stainless steel, the apex F-FRE boasts a more robust extractor claw and improved geometry to produce the most durable extractor available today."

My gun has been running pretty well, I did get a failure to extract at a match the week before last. This was the first time in 600-800 rounds. I'm not sure how long it had been sense I cleaned the chamber, probably 600-800 rounds. So I'm going to keep a log of rounds fired, and clean the chamber before every match and see how it goes. I'm going to start cleaning more like a open gun and less like a glock. lol. I will report back after I get some more rounds down range.

On a plus I've finish HOA at the last 3 USPSA matches I've shot with this Open G17. And if the classifier calc is right all I need is one decent classifier this weekend to jump from B up to M in open on the next update.