Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot comps when in bad weather?

The last 3 major 3 gun matches rained like hell, then the sun came out and turned humid, then rained again, then more sun. Typical Texas weather. If you don't like the weather at the beginning of the match, just wait and hour, it will certainly change.

The only thing I hate about shooting in bad weather or rain is it makes me clean all my gear when I get home. I hate cleaning gear!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like shooting in the rain because half of the people leave which means a quicker day for me. The only thing I really hate is shooting with bags on the targets. My scores are always worse when I cant get a good sight of the cardboard; i guess because I'm new to the sport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like doing things in the rain. Stand tall, don't blink, show everyone the weather does not bother you. It's cool.

Oh yeah if you start to shiver because it's also cold and maybe you drank too much coffee, it's best to just go ahead and pee your pants. No one will know and you get a free warm-up.

The times, attitudes and individuals change.

Starting out, in my thirties when I was more hale and hearty, a day in the rain was no big deal. Matches were also harder to come by so giving up on one meant a wait of a couple or more weeks before the next. And the prevailing perspective in USPSA back then was closer to the combat pistol training roots of the sport, so it was expected that you prepare for all contingencies by training in all contingencies.

Now, twenty plus years later, it takes a bit more out of me to do a long day (matches are definite much longer now, at least out my way) in very cold/wet or hot/dry weather. The arthritis flares more when wet. I can now shoot a match every week end (some week ends I have a choice of venues) so missing one is not a hardship. And, for better or worse, most folks now look at USPSA as sport shooting to enjoy, not combat training to grimly endure.

So, yeah, now sometimes I'll stay at home and read a good book, load some ammo, dry fire if I feel guilty, or just sleep in.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has rained every day for the last few weeks. It rained the entire match Sunday, our RO had an umbrella, it was nice to load and make ready under it. Once stage was gun on table unloaded with all mags on table. That table was covered in rain, one mag went in the gun, the other went on the ground.... Ehhhh didn't realize that that until it was time to reload.

Shoot in the rain. OR don't shoot.???? Pick one

Last November I shot a monthly match where the wind blew so hard we had to reassemble the stages between each shooter. I'm talking barricades and not just paper. I doubt that there were any Open shooters who finished the full match because they couldn't keep their guns running from the dirt in the air. I literally shook pebbles out of my glock when I got home due to one stage making me go prone that day, combined with the wind and muzzle blast that close to the ground. I ended up placing something like 8 out of 60 because I finished.

One of the folks who went home early was Taran Butler, so now I can say that I "officially" beat a world champ thanks to my willingness to stick it out in bad weather. WORTH IT!!!

Nope. If I wake up on match day and hear thunder, I'm rolling right back over and going back to sleep.

This is a pistol competition, not basic training...

Mirrors my thoughts. It's been hot as hell lately, and while I've shown up, I've not picked up any brass. I may be shopping for some brass on here, but if it's too hot, I'm not doing anything besides resetting a stage, ROing shooters, shooting, or drinking water. Screw this heat!

This is my hobby, and my hobby makes me happy. I want to keep it that way. So I am a bit of a prude when it comes to inclimate weather. ie: I prefer comfortable, not crappy...

I want a good experience, and look forward to going, not feel like it is a chore.

I support those that have the passion and applaud them for their persistence. They are the ones that teach us hobbiests how to be better. Because if you have the passion, you will put in the time to be the best of the best!

Don't bother looking at the weather report living in southern Idaho if u don't like the weather wait 15min it will be different .. Have shoot in pouring rain, snow, and 100+ degree temps and enjoyed it all .. Some more than the other but still fun

• 7 months later...

Cold and snow doesn't bother me all that much, but I hate rain. I just roll over and go back to sleep.

The best I ever shot was a bullseye match about 35 years ago. The weather was freezing rain and it was difficult to just stand. I knew conditions were the pits and I only dropped 2 points that match. Go figure. Yeah, I know what happened mentally. I still don't like shooting in the rain though.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate going to matches in crappy weather. Unfortunately there are a bunch of nuts here in Colorado that hold matches when it's cold, windy, raining, and otherwise miserable. They just always show up like a bunch of crazy people.

... and I don't want them to get lonely so I HAVE to show up!

If there is an option to shoot in better weather obviously I'd take that... Last weekend Saturday was good to go and Sunday was cold/rain so I opted for IDPA on sat rather than a rifle / pistol on Sunday. Good to have options! If only option was Sunday I would have bundled/wrapped up and hit the range in spite of the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk