Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot comps when in bad weather?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Colorado, if it is going to be cold out.....30s or below, I don't go.

Cold hands is no fun. Once drew my gun and pointed it at target, gun went off as I extended my arms. I didn't know I was on the trigger and had pressure on it since my hands were cold.

My first DQ was on a fumble of the gun when reloading a Glock 34 and moving to the right, and I am left handed. It was snowing out. Muzzle violation.

I travel 1.5-2 hours each way for a match, so it has to be fun and not just for practice.

Sat in a boat with 5 inches of standing water in it on staff day for the IDPA OK state match Friday. Rained all day. Saturday was a muddy mess but decent weather for shooters. I'll do it for a major match but would have gone back to the house if it was just a club match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my hobby, and my hobby makes me happy. I want to keep it that way. So I am a bit of a prude when it comes to inclimate weather. ie: I prefer comfortable, not crappy...

I want a good experience, and look forward to going, not feel like it is a chore.

I support those that have the passion and applaud them for their persistence. They are the ones that teach us hobbiests how to be better. Because if you have the passion, you will put in the time to be the best of the best!

was supposed to go to a match today but its raining like heck. i have done enough shooting in the rain. i am sure there are some die hard out there that shoot no matter.

So do you go to a match if bad weather is forecast?

You picked a good match to stay home. Some people were still shooting after 4 when I left. Rain made life difficult.

I hated it so much I'm moving to Arizona full time instead of just for the winter. Shot in the rain in Tucson once.... but it only lasted for a few minutes! I love the sunshine and yes, it's a dry heat.

Yes. I don't get to go to many matches because of work schedule, so if I make the time, I go. Only thing that stops me in inclement weather is lightning.

And this is because others will not R.O. me or otherwise even this wouldn't stop me...

Put me in the fair weather crowd :). Not a big fan of being wet and miserable all day, let alone having all my gear get soaked.

Exception: I've paid a lot of money for a major match of some kind. If the weather is calling for crap, ill bring a rain coat, spare gear if possible, extra tarps to cover stuff, etc and try to make the best of it. But I'll be miserable and I'll make sure everyone around me knows it!!

Rain on a local match day, no thanks. If its the match I help run and we are still going to go, I might just RO in a raincoat and leave the gun in the truck for the day, haha.

I despise inclement weather, haha.

I like shooting in all weather. The only time I won't shoot because of weather is when it's unsafe or I need to stay home cause I can't get out. Rain, snow, hail(depends on size), sleet, heat. They are all excellent training opportunities. Embrace them. I don't want to look back one day and ask myself why I didn't go to that match just because it was raining and now I have bad arthritis and can't grip a gun.

I did my first rain match this weekend. I'd do it again as long as I brought better footwear. My tennis shoes didn't cut it. And a garbage bag for my range bag. The range had some pop up tents and we walked those from station to station to stay reasonably dry.

• 2 weeks later...