Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let me preface this by saying I don't want to start a USPS bashing thread. I have two packages currently "stuck" (my words) in Texas. First was mailed 3/3 the other 3/9. They show estimated delivery dates of 3/6 and 3/12 respectively. I've never had USPS packages take this long past the estimate before. The funny thing is they both show Copell, TX as their last scan. I'm not really versed in how USPS operates. Both were sent priority mail.

To the question, how much longer would you wait, and what if anything would you do? What avenues can I follow? Is responsibility on me, the vendors. or USPS in these circumstances? Again, pardon my ignorance of the postal system, I've only had exceptional luck with USPS priority.

Contact yer local post office with the tracking number. They can help you. And now is why this can happen.

If both yer packages were on the same truck, meaning on same leg of the trip, and that truck broke down the packages don't get scanned on that transfer to new truck. Regrettably at this point in the post office there are not a lot of spare resources, so that means yer packages may have taken a side trip on another leg of the dispatch route. Usually this is what happens when tracking freezes. Yer package is still in transit, just not being scanned.

And why is it not being scanned you ask? Because that would show on some BS report. And some poor schmuck would get reamed over a rogue package where it should not be. Because a truck broke down, or got in an accident, people honestly get disciplined because of rerouting mail. It's quite unbelievably stupid.

And yes, I work in the USPS in transportation as a mechanic.

Yep,

I have a package that was mailed in TX on 3/3/15, and it hasn't arrived either. The tracking information just says something to the effect of, departed sort facility on 3/3/15. Its been 14 days since it departed the sort facility... Either the broken down truck was actually broken into or the driver is on a bender in Vegas.

I could write a dissertation on all my bad experiences with the USPS shipping and reciving bullets, brass and checks for the bullets and brass. USPS = Government = bad service. This problem will never change. Your only option is to pay more and use UPS and FedEx.

• 2 weeks later...

That package that was mailed on 3/3/15 from Texas, it finally arrived a couple days ago. It was a paper padded envelope. USPS had placed it in a plastic bag with an apology printed on the bag. Inside, the paper padded envelop was soaked with a non-water oil based substance. I didn't know what the substance was, so I immediately washed my hands and threw the packaging out.

The item only took 24 days to mail from TX to VT and was soaked in an unknown oil based substance. Gee, I am glad it was not an electronic or important item.

The main problem as noted is that packages can and will fail to get scanned at some point in their movement. The local post office can check for you but they are likely just going to see the same thing you are seeing. The standard response is that you have to wait 30 days and if the package hasn't arrived you should contact the shipper and they can put a trace on it and put in a claim if necessary.

When something like this happens it can literally become impossible for anyone to know where the package is until it is scanned again. And that's assuming it hasn't gotten offloaded and forgotten somewhere in lower nowhere.

As to going with UPS or FedEx, the exact same thing can and will happen with them - it's happened to me more than once - and you get the exact same response.

• 2 weeks later...

I could write a dissertation on all my bad experiences with the USPS shipping and reciving bullets, brass and checks for the bullets and brass. USPS = Government = bad service. This problem will never change. Your only option is to pay more and use UPS and FedEx.

I work for the USPS and paying more for UPS or FEDX doesn't guarantee that your parcel is going to arrive on time or at all. Things like this happen to all shipping companies, trucks break down, bad weather delays, small parcels accidentally left in equipment, etc... In fact I am sure that most on peeps on this forum don't even know that USPS delivers most of the small parcels for UPS and FEDX. We get bags of them every day based on the "last mile concept" because we are the ones that deliver to almost every address every day. So think about that before you bash the USPS and its government employees......

I've shipped a ton of stuff through the USPS over the past few years, and no-one has had to file claim yet. However, I will preface that every package I ship is packed with expectation that it will be thrown, dropped, kicked, placed under heavy boxes, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, this can happen with all carriers. I ordered a large dog crate. It arrived via UPS, and was packaged in a large bag. It was broken. I communicated with Amazon and set it up to be picked back up by UPS. I saw the driver walk up my steps, kick the package down my steps and then carry it to the truck. He kicked it down 5 steps to land on cement. Maybe that attitude is how it broke in the first place...