Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bulky load needed for .38spl

Max It

hi ya, I have had squib problems with .38's and .357's in reloading.

a buddy suggested getting a fluffy powder that fills the case more.

I see that IMR 4227 takes a bulky load, but it says for magnums and primarily I would load light for paper targets.

suggestions?

Please don't take offense to this, but what you need is more attention to your loading. Having a squib problem is user error. I only say this out of concern. If a "buddy" had asked me the same question, that would be my answer. Stay safe.

You are going to have a hard time with most powders in .38. Most .38 charges you will be able to get two charges in the case. With .357 this will be much less of an issue as the case will runnith over. In .357 with something like H110, a charge will fill the case. If you want .38 bulky you are limited to trail boss or black powder. remember that the .38 is an old black powder loading.

hey YoungEyes, I am not offended. I am living with my situation w/out going into it a lot.

I appreciated your sense.

guys, thanks for the tips, I will need a laundry list as most powders are out of stock.

I don't load a lot of .38's so these are not my favorites.

much obliged,

Max

I use Bullseye (a very low-volume powder) in .45 and .38 loads and have never had a squib or anything that didn't sound right. I use a progressive, auto-indexing press.

My first question is what is your loading technique? When you say squib, do you mean a case with less powder (inconsistent metering) or no powder (issues with your process)?

Is the suggestion of a bulkier powder to make metering less critical in percentage of charge weight (doesn't solve the root problem of consistency and accuracy will still suffer) or to make it easier to verify that there is powder in the case?

hi ya, squibb; no powder. I got distracted; never mind.

again a buddy recommended using a powder that fills the case better.

I find loads for IMR4227 and 125gn .38spl.

if I can find a lb of that I will use it.

I asked for more suggestions as it is difficult to find the desired powder in any local powder. I often buy something I am not quite sure of. so far most maybe all of the other suggestions don't show a load in any of the three books I consulted. I do have others but these three are my go to load books.

much obliged, Max

hmm, I found a pretty bulky load for Power Pistol using 6gns; in one of those books I don't often look at.

I have a 1/2 lb of that. if it looks good when I load and shoot it I am done.

much obliged to all,

Max

Edited by Max It

hi ya Newboy, very poetic. and of course you are right. I am trying. meanwhile I think I will try the 1/2 lb of power pistol I have here. and I found that a LGS has 4227 that's next.

much obliged, max

• 2 weeks later...

4227 loads in 38 Special

Speer Manual #8 (1970)

.357 diameter

125gr jacketed bullet with 14-16gr H4227

146gr jacketed bullet with 11-13gr IMR or H4227

158gr jacketed bullet with 11.5-12.5gr H4227

158gr Speer SWC or RN (lead) with 11-12gr IMR or H4227

Less powder with lead bullets is because the lead bullet may seal better than a jacketed bullet and produce higher pressures.

Use at your own risk.

Pay attention.

RP

A friend once tried light .38 loads with IMR 4227. He had a lot of trouble with them. You will not be happy with that combination.

You simply must check each and every case for powder before you seat a bullet on it.

How will bulky powder make up for skipping the powder drop? Something like Trail Boss will protect the careless against double charging, but it won't do anything about a zero charge.

I would recommend highly against using 4227. Light loads cause unburnt powder under the ejector star, which can cause the cylinder to close not close. Also after about 12 shots, it makes chambering difficult. 4227 is too slow and is best suited for magnum loads.

Edited by Fordfan485

• 4 months later...

I would recommend highly against using 4227. Light loads cause unburnt powder under the ejector star, which can cause the cylinder to close not close. Also after about 12 shots, it makes chambering difficult. 4227 is too slow and is best suited for magnum loads.

The proper way to unload a double action revolver to help prevent the cylinder from locking up due to unburned powder collecting under the ejector plate is to always have the muzzle up when you hit the ejector rod. This helps ensure any unburned powder falls with the cases and doesn't end up under your ejector plate.