Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vise blocks for barrel removal

MWP

What are other people using for blocks to grab a barrel properly? I see plenty of frame wrenches, but not too many options for holing onto a barrel. Brownells has some options, but none really look specific to S&W barrel shapes.

Thinking about ordering some 1/2" Delrin sheets and making my own to fit each type of barrel shape.

Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom?

Same here, the last one I did I got 2 pieces of 1X2 8" long and went down each side with a sanding drum the diameter of the barrel and routed out a recess in each side for the barrel and clamped the strips on each side of the barrel in the vice. I have some hardwood blocks for rifle barrels that are lined with leather. For gripping if there is any slip you can sprinkle the blocks with rosin powder. Never needed the rosin for pistol barrels.

Delrin would be real nice. I made two half pieces from oak. I traced the barrel and carved it out mostly with a Dremel coarse sanding drum. The oak pieces (around the barrel) almost touch without pressure so when they are in the vise it clamps on the barrel well.

I have found that holding the frame secure with well fitted blocks is the most important part.

You can spring the frame if you are not careful.

I could probably use some pointers though.

l_584200001_1.jpg

Yes, I bought the MGW frame wrench from Brownells. It has different size Delrin inserts to immobilize the frame.

Archived