Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion Needed:Comparison of 3 possible models of Pro Series for IDPA

frodo9mm

Folks:

I am just getting into IDPA and am comparing 3 different M&P Pro Series models to purchase one as a starter pistol for local IDPA Competition.

I have questions.

The three models are:

1. Model M&P9 Pro Series - 4.25 Barrel, 17+1 Rounds, SKU 178035

2. Model M&P9 Pro Series - 5 Barrel, 17+1 Rounds, SKU 178010

2. M&P9 PERFORMANCE CENTER PORTED - 5" Barrel, 17+1 Rounds, SKU 10098

My questions are:

1. For IDPA, does the 5 inch barrel offer an advantage over the 4.25?

2. How does the recoil and muzzle flip on the M&P9 Pro Series compare to other production pistols like the Glock? I have read the ore axis is close in comparison.

Which would you recommend and what has been your experience?

Thank you,

Frodo9

Edited by frodo9mm

You need to scratch the ported model off your list since ported barrels are not allowed in IDPA. For shooters that had previously shot 1911's the M&P will point more naturally than the Glock. The muzzle flip is about the same between the Glock and M&P, it depends more on you and which one you can get your hands wrapped around the best with the highest hold possible. I personally prefer the 5" model.

Thank you for the IDPA info. I have not shot my 1st match yet and have a Springfield XDM-C 3.8 that I have pondered using. So, I am feeling my though things.

I like the M&P a lot. I may l go watch the next IPDA match and also practice at some of the same distances that the stage is set up at..

I will also rent a 5 M&P at the range if they have one and see how it feels. Someone in the club mentioned I should "buy as much accuracy as I could afford" and then let talent do the rest.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your preferred pistol for IDPA? Thx again, Frodo9.

I say go with the 4.25" model. I think the standard duty size guns are easier to draw and transition quickly. If you have good sight alignment and trigger control, the .75" won't make any difference at all. And in the thousands of IDPA shots I've taken less than 10 were further than 25 yards in a match.

Sounds great and thank you all for the input. I will rent 4.25 and shot is side buy side with my XDM-C and go from there. I used to shoot skeet with a local club in college and just got into pistol about a year ago. I shot all 3 gauges and was A class in 12. I want to be disciplined as a I learn to shot idpa and do more than just go at it. Thx Again. Frodo9

I have a 4.25 inch M&P 9mm that I made SSP/Master with. That said, I think the 5-inch gun is a better bet. You can make the required power factor with less powder, less recoil. The longer sighting radius does help, and I don't feel it slows transitions, nor does it affect faster shots on close targets. If you later wish to try USPSA or Steel Challenge I think you'll find the 5 inch gun a better bet there, as well.

With that said, the best course is to shoot both and see which seems to work best for you.

BTW, your 3.8 XD is a perfect gun for the new CCP Division, and is an acceptable back up in SSP/ESP to whichever M&P you decide on. You can have a lot of fun in CCP with it.

Edited by GOF

Don't buy anything. Go and enter your first match and get a feel for it. Make some friends, tell them you are new and shoot their guns, then make an informed choice based off of what you shoot best and what feels best to you.

I have been shooting the 5" for a year and Iam switching to the 4-1/2 for the reasons these guys have mentioned,, I think transition is quicker and coming out of the holster ... Also just feel more in control of the gun with the smaller M&p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's really no difference drawing a standard size m&p and the 5". I see simple stuff like this taken way out of proportion. Best thing you can do is choose what you want, and become proficient with it.

Personally I shoot a 5" 1911 in 9mm, would I shoot a 4.25? Possibly. I don't see any different outcome in the way I shoot. Like many have said. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Hope this helps.

Frodo, go shoot your XDM 3.8. I just bought a 3.8 for the new CCP class. Have it set up to mirror my 5.25 that I use in ESP. If you really want another pistol, do yourself a favor and consider the XDM 5.25. Same holster, same mags, same platform, same "feel". You can also swap slides and frames back and forth if you want. You may want to do a trigger and sight upgrade on your 3.8, but other than that, I'd just go shoot it.

JD

+1 to JD. Good advice to keep things simple with the same platform. And, the 3.8 XDM can serve as a back up to the 5.25 at a Sanctioned match if you have a parts breakage in the big gun.

I shoot a 5" M&P 9 Pro in SSP. I prefer it to the 4" (that I started with and sold). I mainly shoot a 5" 9mm 1911 in ESP though.

There are many good shooters running the 4" so I agree that you should just go try both and decide what performs better for you.

For your first match, just go and shoot the gun you have. You can see what works for others, get ideas and see what you don't like about the XD before sinking money into a new platform. Don't go watch. After the first few stages you will really wish you were shooting instead of watching. :angry2:

Don't buy anything. Go and enter your first match and get a feel for it. Make some friends, tell them you are new and shoot their guns, then make an informed choice based off of what you shoot best and what feels best to you.

Mark is dead on here. Go run what you brung first. You may just find out it is best suited for you/what you want to do. That will save you a ton of $$ that you can put towards ammo for practice (and more match fees).

Mark is dead on here. Go run what you brung first. You may just find out it is best suited for you/what you want to do. That will save you a ton of $$ that you can put towards ammo for practice (and more match fees).

Best advice right here. My experience has been that fellow shooters really treat new shooters well and are typically are great about helping them out by providing advice/instruction, as well as help with equipment. I think it's great to get out there to a match and see what your local shooters are using equipment wise. It would suck for you to go out and buy something and then go to a match and see something that you liked better as would be better suited for your needs, after you spent your money.

As far as the M&P's go, I prefer the 5" model for competition personally. If you plan on using your gun for more than just competition, the 4.25" model may be a better choice for concealability, etc... I believe that as a new IDPA shooter you probably wouldn't notice significant differences between the two models. Get whichever one appeals to you the most and practice with it and you will do fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the advice, I took the XDM/C 9mm and entered a Dixie Wheel Gunner / BASIC IDPA match at our local club and had a blast.

Glad I did not go and just watch, lol. That would have been torcher. The stage distances where short and the learning curve and overall experience made it a lot of fun.

Virtually all of my points down were NOT due not to the accuracy of the gun. It is truly the Indian as you said and not arrow. Humbling but fun, indeed.

I am training each day using Ben Stoegers Dry Fire Training Book and Live Fire training once a week.

I plan train and shoot the XDM/C 9mm for 6 months or so and go from there. I currently hold an 6 inch group consistently at 15 yds with the XDM-C.

Can't wait for the next IDPA Basics match! Thanks again.

I made Master with a 5" 9 Pro, and prefer it to the 4.25 for the longer sight radius, slightly more manageable recoil, and increased power factor with the longer barrel. Mechanically, the 5" model is no more accurate than my 9C, but the longer sight radius allows more wiggle room in sight alignment at longer distances. For me, it takes more concentration and near perfect sight alignment to assure good hits at distance with the shorter gun. One third of the IDPA Classifer is at distances of 15-20 yards, and the 5" has an advantage here, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

M911 - Good point and thank you for the feedback. I plan to rent a 5" at the range and send some lead down range to see how I like it. Right now, I am using my XDM 9 C and really enjoying shooting the matches. I will rent a glock 34 and a M&P Pro 5 and compare, Thx!

I shoot a Glock 34. With my eyes, I'll take every little bit of sight radius that I can get. Get the 5".

I agree. I prefer using the biggest, and sometimes the heaviest thing, that will fit in the box.

Edited by himurax13

• 10 months later...

Follow-Up - This is great advise.

I kept the XDM-C 9mm and shot the local IDPA Basic/Dixie Wheel Gun monthly match in March thru May last year. Then was out busy with work and family for the remainder of the year. Then, I started shooting the match again last month.

I have been practicing and dry firing using Ben Stoeger's book and my match results are starting to improve. My accuracy and speed are decent for now and I have been working on my knowledge of IDPA rules. Procedural costed my quite a bit in the last match.

The XDM - C 9mm shoots fine for me out to 20 yds and the gun is fun. I put a drop in PRP trigger kit and it went from a 6 to 3.5 LB pull. My accuracy improved b/c of it.

Thanks again for the great advise.

PS - I plan to shoot the classifier later this year. it fills up fast, so I am not sure when I will be able to classify. Here is my XDM-C 9mm with the new trigger....

10584-1455941905-1f1edef1b4c54b5a7a21d05

Edited by frodo9mm