Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Followers Sticking in tube?

chanman

Ran into an issue shooting my exec today. Wouldn't feed a few rounds here and there.

Extractor tension has been checked.

They rounds were hitting the top of the chamber and stopping.

I proceed to take the mags apart and I had to push the follower out with a screw driver. I couldn't pull them out just by the spring. Is this normal with STI factory followers/ mags? Seems like some 1200grit around the edges of the followers would help but wanted y'all's opinion

Eta these are brand new mags, first time today using them

Edited by chanman

I agree. I have only been around the 2011 platform for about four years, but I have several STI mags now. Not one new mag has ever worked right out of the package. Some have been better than others but all have needed some work to be reliable. It seems we all just except this as normal. Maybe we all don't really mind because most shooters are tinkerers. I'm glad to see a company like MBX offer some competition in the market. STI might try to put a little time in making sure their mags work, knowing guys have other options. I doubt it though.

My followers were sticking out the top. STI paid for shipping and had a 1 day turn around on 4 mags. Give them a call. They should take care of you.

not when your in australia :blush: I've had to pay for mine to get worked on each time, and like most we run up to 6 mags in IPSC the new dvc will be my 3rd sti open gun,i think this time i will start looking into other mags thats available over here

Does anyone have a link to videos on how to remove the Taran Tactical base pads so I can tune the STI mags?

Don't take this wrong, but if you need a video to show you how to pull the base pad you may be best off having someone with more knowledge help you tune those mags. Start squeezing that thing in a vice you may end up with a real expensive paperweight.

Ok so what happened is the TT Spacer was catching the lip of the base pad. I had to cores the spring so I could get grab a hold of the spacer with my Gerber which allowed me to remove the base pad. So yes it wasn't th e spring but the spacer itself.