Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

changing from recoil master to regular guide rod what is the best

gzo

I was thinking of going from the Recoil master on my STI Edge to the regular guide rod setup. I shoot 180gr bullets and was trying to find out what weight spring I should use for this setup.

Friend of mine did that and he went back to stock recoil master. Said it felt better, sight tracked better. better recoil impulse. They (recoil master) are much more reliable/improved now than they were 5-10 years ago.

If you want to go with a guide rod, I suggest the EGW stainless steel FLGR and a few springs from a site vendor like Shooters Connection. I tried 10, 11, 12, 12.5, 13 and the recoil master for my 180gr loads. 12# is the best for me right now. Next time out, I may redo my testing after the winter dry-fire practice.

Springs are cheap and the guide rod is a good middle weight.

If you want to go with a guide rod, I suggest the EGW stainless steel FLGR and a few springs from a site vendor like Shooters Connection. I tried 10, 11, 12, 12.5, 13 and the recoil master for my 180gr loads. 12# is the best for me right now. Next time out, I may redo my testing after the winter dry-fire practice.

Springs are cheap and the guide rod is a good middle weight.

Thats the rod I picked up, So just need some range time to see. Thanks for the info that will give me a starting weight.

Yep, 12#

But don't be in too big a hurry to ditch the recoil master. They are pretty awesome. I had a huge round count on one and it was flawless. Only went to conventional set ups when I got to custom built guns.

Good luck amigo!

Not ditching as much as testing the waters. The gun is semi custom and I have shot others that did not have the RMaster installed and like the feel.

Another question....if you go down in bullet weight but keep the load for the same power-factor do you need to change the spring

Maybe, maybe not. If you are trying to keep the same power factor, you will probably be adjusting the powder charge. This may or may not change the dynamic of the gun during firing. Only testing different springs will help you determine what you need to do with your set-up.

I have a full length tungsten solid guiderod in my Edge - matched with either a 13 lb or a 12 lb spring. I favour the 12lb as it shoots flatter for me (180gr plated bullets over 5.2gr of N320), but 13 lbs is pretty good if I can't find 12lbs springs - especially after about 1000 cycles...

I change the springs every 2000 rounds or so.

I find that the recoil master gives me too much "flip" - I don't mind the sharper recoil of the 12lb spring, as long as the gun stays flat.

I purchased a spring tuning kit which included one each of different weight springs indicated by color. They take them out and experiment with the recoil. If you go low you may want to add a buff. I prefer the aluminum buffers from Dawson Precision. It's all why feels the best and helps the speed of your follow up shot IMO.

I purchased a spring tuning kit which included one each of different weight springs indicated by color. They take them out and experiment with the recoil. If you go low you may want to add a buff. I prefer the aluminum buffers from Dawson Precision. It's all why feels the best and helps the speed of your follow up shot IMO.

this is a sound strategy.

not a fan of the buff, but if it yields the results you want... awesome.