Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer Springs for JP Ultra LMOS

alma

I picked up a JP Ultra LMOS aluminum but now have to figure out what buffer and spring system to pair with it.

I had been running a standard JP LMOS with a JP captured spring and really like that set up. I was about to order the Spring Kit for the captured guide rod from JP so I could potentially lower the spring weight in the captured buffer system. For those who are running the Ultra Light systems, what is your buffer and spring configuration?

Also, if tuning using the JP Captured spring kit where do you start when it comes to spring weight?

I would start with the lowest spring ( I think it is 80%) and see if that strips the first round off of a fully loaded mag. If not put in the next spring that will. Then, I would start adjusting the gas.

Edited by Fordfan485

I just did this today. Lowered my gas all the way, started with the lightest spring and the gun felt violent. So I switched to the heaviest spring and the gun felt like a toy but it wasn't locking back. So I turned up the gas until it did, then turned it up a little more for good measure.

No idea I think you'll just want to experiment

Is the idea that a lighter spring is better or heavier? Or does this become like the same argument with a pistol spring rate? More about the "feel"...

According to JP, the carbine spring that comes installed on the SCS should run it. I emailed them back when I went to the LMOS. I havent had to change my spring out at all and I have shot a variety of different carriers and gas systems on it. It's 100% for me every time.

According to JP, the carbine spring that comes installed on the SCS should run it. I emailed them back when I went to the LMOS. I havent had to change my spring out at all and I have shot a variety of different carriers and gas systems on it. It's 100% for me every time.

+1

Last week one of my shooting friends installed a JP Ultra LMOS aluminum BCG in a 16", mid length gas rifle, with a new standard JP SCS as delivered (Std spring). We started with gas off and opened it until it locked back consistently, then shot the heck out of it (Fed AR factory ammo). It was 100% reliable. Five different shooters and all agreed it is probably the softest and flatest shooting .223 rifle we've ever fired :cheers:

There will not be "one" universal set-up. Depends on load, hammer, magazines, buffer weight and how you tune it. It also depends on what you, as a shooter are after.

I found that you still need a little mass, or a little stiffer spring as compared to a JP LMOS carrier in my set-up. I prefer an empty carbine buffer with a standard carbine spring in the set-up I am running.