Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 2 Caspian Desert Classic

38supPat

It seems like you are missing some aggressiveness in your shooting. Your splits and transitions are at the pace of a Production shooter trying to capture a crap ton of A's. Looking at your results summery on USPSA you only had 2 D's, 2 Mikes, and 1 No Shoot so you captured a lot of good points. But the time it took you to do that was 54 seconds slower than KC. That is a CRAP TON of extra time to give away over 14 stages. That's an average of almost 4 seconds a stage you are donating to the competition by not running that dot gun like you mean it. Unleash the BEAST :devil:

Edited by CHA-LEE

The only problem with that is in 2012 when I was much closer to the match winner in time (28 seconds different) and took less points I ended up 32nd in the match. Taking more time to get points may have netted me a slower time compared to the winner but a 19th place finish...I'm going to work on getting points faster

This match did have many tight or partial shots, but there was also a lot of hard cover partials. Any time I see a stage with hard cover partials I see an opportunity to shoot more aggressively but make up any shots that I call even slightly marginal. Doing this allows me to shoot the hard cover partial targets way faster than most other shooters who are slowly poking away at them trying not to hit the black. Realistically, the only "penalty" on the hard cover partials is taking the time for an extra shot. If you can shoot these targets aggressively, even with a few make up shots, you will usually beat the tar out of most other shooters who are aiming super hard while shooting slow.

That is very interesting CHA-LEE, I never really thought of it like that. It does make perfect sense and it is the perfect opportunity to gain a bit of time. Granted, shot calling is key in order to employ the technique.

This is why I come to the forum. A seemingly innocuous statement that might be a "well duh" for some was kinda a light bulb for me.

Thanks.

Pat the one thing I see is you are letting the gun settle completely between shots and even before transitioning. You need to drive the gun more aggressively especially in open. I am a big believer in never sacrificing speed for accuracy especially on oarge staged in open. Plus don't put much merit in comparing 2012 to this year especially considering the quality of top shooters in the match. What I mean by the is KC is much faster than Eddie or Naim or Joe B who were all winners at that time. I think comparing apples to orange only confuses results.

Transitions will be my main focus this spring.

But given the level of the shot difficulty this year I'm not going to worry about my splits, I'd rather have 2 A with a .18-.20 (or .30's on longer shots) split than try to push for .11's. 11's sound impressive but rarely win matches. I've tried the speed over accuracy method and it results in erratic stage scores.

For example:

In 2012 I had 1 stage in top 10, 3 in top 20, none in the 20's, 2 in the thirties, 3 in the 40's, 1 in the 50's and 2 in the 60's. Compare that to 2015 where I had 2 top 10's, 7 top 20's, 2 in the 20's and only one each in the 30's and 40's and then one bad stage (two mike and a very badly blown reload) and my record is far better shooting points. If you take KC out of the mix and compare to the other guys I was about 10% higher against them then in 2012

I shot with Jojo and I know I lost time on transitions but my splits weren't much different from his. I lost time on blown reloads (reworking those right now) and make up shots on steel. Maybe its a product of shooting Open 10 here in Canada and NY but we don't have ammo to waste on makeups so it probably makes me more deliberate. A make up shot around here quite often results in a static or slide lock reload as well.

Yes I agree in my opinion splits are basically inconsequential. Transitions and snapping the gun to the next target are what will win your class. If you want a prime example of this watch Nils. The bullet has barely cleared the barrel on his last shot and he is ready to fire his first shot on the next target. Most of the top shooters are transitioning about the same as splits roughly or slightly longer (.05-.10). I would estimate you are probably .7-.8 per transition you shave that at least in half you save 2-3 seconds per stage.