Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 - 284, Creedmoor, or 47?

BigGunBarry

I have a grendel & love it but reality is it wont come close to these calibers after 600yds or so. You just cant put enough powder & bullet in the short case to get enough velocity to hang with the big boys, at least not here where the wind is always a factor. Is a shame but facts are facts.

I do like shooting it though. Is an incredible little round.

Out of curiosity, what about a 6.5 Grendel ???

The Grendel is based on a 223/556 case and the others are based on a 308/762 case. Like Mr Miller says, just not enough room for go juice... :)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Out of curiosity, what about a 6.5 Grendel ???

The Grendel is based on a 223/556 case and the others are based on a 308/762 case. Like Mr Miller says, just not enough room for go juice... :)

jj

JJ, the Grendel is based on the .220 Russian. It's basically a 6.5PPC.

The Grendel will go well past 600, but it can't hang with the bigger 6.5s beyond 800.

I have a 6.5 Creedmore built on a donor 700 5R. It is a soft shooting tac driver, that you can buy accurate factory loads for. Not so for the other choices. I've shot some very good groups with the Hornady 140 A max factory loads. Even better with hand loads, BUT I wouldn't hesitate to shoot factory if I didn't reload.

It's true, the Grendel will not keep up with the bigger 6.5's. BUT....(pause for emphasis).... it will keep up with any 175-178gr 308 load I can think of. In an AR15. With a third of the recoil. Using much less powder and a lighter bullet at relatively low pressures. No, it's not a big 6.5, but it's not a turd either. My bro just got a 6.5G and he's uninterested in doing the chrono work and B.C. truing so I've been doing all the numbers work for him. We've only been shooting the factory Amax load and so far it's killed any interest I've ever had in owning a 308 precision rifle.

• 1 month later...

To answer the original post,....

As others have said, depends on what you want to use the gun for.

I just took delivery on a 6.5x284 built on a long action by Phoenix Custom Rifles.

The 6.5x284 is incredibly accurate and has the juice to easily reach 1000 yds and beyond.

The gun was envisioned as primarily a long range target rifle and has a relatively long barrel.

I tried to keep the weight heavy enough to be stable on the bags but light enough that I could still carry it in the field if I ever want to long range hunt with it.

It has a reputation as a barrel burner, but I think if you load for accuracy instead of velocity, you will find that your best loads are not always the hottest.

Barrel life should be no worse than a number of other common cartridges if you don't hot rod it and let it cool between rounds.

That said, I wouldn't use it for tactical matches because at times you will be forced into a high rate of fire and barrel life will suffer.

My feeling is that a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor on a short action is more appropriate for that type of shooting.

Personally, I would go with the .260.

Edited by 38superman