Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Mag Updates

Alan Meek

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The availability of mags is the only reason I didn't go with a Caspian frame in this new open gun.

Same here, that's the reason I had a custom gun built on a Springer hi-cap frame. Almost definitely would have gotten a Caspian built if they had mags. Hell, I was going to throw caution at the wind on the promise that they would have mags last spring.

They are missing the boat completely.

ProMag makes them , they are garbage compared to SVI mags. Travis T has a "how to" convert them to hold 20 rounds of .40 on Max's site. I have 4 and after some help from Virgil Tripp on how to set up the barrel's feed ramp they have worked 100% for the 500 rounds I've put through my Caspain high cap. I would still love to see someone get some high quality mags.

So they make the frame with or without a rail and even in Ti, but there aren't any mags. Makes you wonder. My guess is that they don't think there is enough demand to warrant the setup costs - too long to recoup the investment.

Sigh.

Edited by vincent

ok, but was it worth tooling up to put a light rail on a high cap.....that you don't make mags for? :wacko:

Ain't no good reason for this, just shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally I think the Caspian High Caps are interesting, and they have a small but dedicated following. BUT: Every time someone gets interested in them, you have to address the problem of mags.

Some folks like metal guns. Paras are better than they once were, but they are cast, and you can get a true custom from Caspian parts. I think Caspian is missing out. It might be interesting to see what market share they could capture if they produced mags and frames, or even complete guns, with a real delivery time and price (more STI than SV to use an example). Or if some semi custom shop like BAer or Wilson bought 1000 frames, and maybe 3-4000 mags and offered complete guns in line with STI's prices.

Sort of a higher-end all metal high cap, that fit smaller hands. I think in the $1600-2200 range you'd sell a bunch. And not just to us, over on 1911forum.org guys who probably only shoot 500 rounds a year are buying high dollar Springer TRP's and Pro's as fast as they can be made.

What if there was a sexy, all metal high cap out there that was limited ready right out of the box? Checkering, light rails, custom ser #, slim wood grips, good feel.....

They're missing out. :(

Edited by dirtypool40

Just a quick response.

I talk with Gary on a regular basis, and I know while it seems to be the same ole story the word I get is they are working on the .40 mags.

I understand that 38 Super mags are available but they do not have a 170mag. There are a few gunsmiths that can take two and weld them together which does get pricey to do that mod.

Also, the 38Super mags work for 9mm with no adjustments.

And yes Gary does know they are missing out at the moment.

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

I spoke with Gary a year and half ago, a year ago, and about six months ago about the status of new Caspian .40 mags. They have been "in development".

When I pointed out how many Limited gun frame sales they were missing out on, his reply was something to the extent of "yup, we're missing the boat alright. Oh well, our fault, we've been busy on other projects" and he went on to say he was still waiting, patiently, for some unnamed supplier to present him with the new .40 tubes for his inspection.

I tried the tuned Promag route, but couldn't get them running 100% (or even 95%).

Not Caspian bashing or anything, just FYI; but I guess I'll keep waiting.

Too bad. I really prefer the overall feel and handling of their frame to the STI. Although, with 4 STI based guns in the safe right now, I am well past the point of no return. This last year I passed up two really nice Caspian based open guns because of this issue. :(

I'm extremely sorry for recommending the pro mags if they're not working. Please let me know and I'll do all I can to help you guys get them running 100%. TT

That's awesome TT, thanks. I just sent a Caspian frame and some Promag tubes to Matt M, so I may take you up on that...

Scott- My pleasure and congrats! Just get the components that I specified and tell Mathew to give me a ring if there are any questions. Look me up at a match and I’ll show you what the new mags are going to look like.

Travis

Everybody and their brother and their dog is selling single-stacks by the truckload (to whom, I'm not sure, but selling they are). Given Caspian's OEM involvement in that business, I would bet they probably could move 10+ SS frames to 1 hicap, even if they had mags out the wazoo. I'd love to see Caspian mags all over the place, but business is business..

Everybody and their brother and their dog is selling single-stacks by the truckload (to whom, I'm not sure, but selling they are). Given Caspian's OEM involvement in that business, I would bet they probably could move 10+ SS frames to 1 hicap, even if they had mags out the wazoo. I'd love to see Caspian mags all over the place, but business is business..

And it is HIS business.

Gary has to run it as he see's fit.

He has been self employed a long time; he knows how to do something right. ;)

FM