Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16 Build

bbates

I just received my stretch 16 barrel assembly.

After reading I saw some positives about the barrel and decided to try one out. I didn't find a ton of info so I decided to start this thread to detail my results.

My goals are to have an accurate Rifle for local 2 gun competition.

We typically don't shoot that far 350 to 400 yards so I was looking for a shorter barrel than the standard 18 inch but wanted an accurate sub Moa shooter and a soft shooting rifle.

I realize there is no end all be all products out there, but I am always looking for products that shoot better.

This is a do all gun for me and will be used for at times with a suppressor for some hunting.

The parts
Axts lower
Vltor mur upper
15inch rail
Voodoo lightweight carrier
vltor ext buffer tube
Jp rifle buffer spring
Modded vltor buffer weighing 2.8oz
Cmc single stage trigger
Templar tactical / crux suppressor suppressor brake
6inch Templar/ crux 308 can enroute

I just need my carbon arms gas block to show and will be all set

My total bcg and buffer weight is 12.3oz. This is my first time running a lighter set up. I was not interested in trying anything lighter at this time.

As far as optics I have a vortex 1-6 razor due Friday but I will test with an old 3.5-10 Leupold.

B64FD7B6-FFB1-44AC-8FC2-E88E3D10AB74_zps

076AA957-6630-46F7-A785-40361FCA5AC3_zps

Initially thoughts are the fit n finsh look good on the barrel. Cerakote is evenly applied. Barrel did need cleaning. Threads looked ok, not best machining I've seen but not worse either. I'd like to see the barrel ext to reciever a little tighter. Tightened barrel nut to 75ft lbs.

Overall without an optic as pictured the gun weighs 6lbs 12oz

Without an optic its balancing right on the front take down pin.

As far as bullets I plan to shoot 55g fmj, 68g hornady, 75g hornady, and 69 and 77g Sierra tipped match Kings through the gun over the next few weeks

I have some 52g amax loaded I'll try but won't do any load development

I will be testing with full prepped lake city brass, cci primers.

I plan to initially run varget, Tac and 8208 powders through the gun. I will throw the Tac n 8208 on a harrels thrower and load the varget within 1 kernel for load testing

Since I have a ton of Tac that needs to get shot up. I'm going to use it with the 55g fmj. I'll mess around a tune a load for the gun. I didn't want to mess around with adj gas

I have high hopes for this gun and will update this as i get out to the range.

Time to get busy loading ammo

Edited by bbates

Can't wait to see the reports, I'm planning on a very similar spec build over the course of this year.

I'd also love to hear how the gun functions with the low mass bcg & without adjustable gas while shooting factory 223 loads

Thanks for posting! The barrel will love the 69g and 75g/77g. So far with my new red fluted Stretch I have found best results with 55g V-Maxes and 69g Nosler OTM's, all my handloads. But I havent had the chance to take it further than 300yds due to bad weather.

Looking forward to seeing your results! Nice build!

Quick range report

I ended up shooting the gun with the 1-6 at only 50 yards

Couldn't help it since it came in Friday. Guns weighs 9lbs with optic all set up.

I did sling 3 75's under 24.5 g Tac at 300 the reticle lined up. I think around 1moa. Target has shot up.

I shot mostly 68g hornady and 69g sierra Tmk with 24.5 to 26g varget

Plus 24.5g tac and 23g 8208 with 75g Hornadys that have shot good in other guns.

Here are some quick pics.

9BCA81EE-71D8-433B-87C4-58FD94188494_zps

E9210200-2CA5-43E2-B65D-1E91551BD3EE_zps

1B2092A4-3A7F-4EC7-870F-494F2E94E187_zps

CF8A3B1E-0BDB-402A-96D4-86F779AEB12D_zps

Those are 2 and 3 inch stickers

I ended up not putting a brake and ran the gun bare

I was able to spot on the bench

For a quick shoot I'm happy I'll put the 10x on it and shoot out to distance

Did have some issues with the gun running 55g fmj and 24.5 and 25g Tac it wouldn't cycle

Ran fine with the others

Good looking groups! Not sure why you had the cycling issues but maybe the light buffer and carrier setup just doesn't like that particular load.

FWIW, I use a JP LMOS, SLR sentry 7, and JP Silent Captured Spring Buffer and I've never had issues with my Stretch's, 100% reliable for the past 13 months.

I put the carbon arms gas block on last night and the gun ran great today.

no issues cycling what so ever.

I'm asking to be completely clear. After the gas block change, even the bullet weight and load that gave you function problems before ("55g fmj and 24.5 and 25g Tac") now run without malfunction?

I'm very glad it is running well, assuming I understood the meaning of your post.

Yes that is correct after changing the gas block I am not experiencing the issues i was over the weekend with 24.5g Tac and 55g fmj

24.1g Tac and a 55g fmj ran great and shot better than 24.6 and 25g

The gun ran 100% today with loads that didn't run through it in sunday.

Thank you mark and carbon arms

Here are some 100 yard groups.

Shot from bench with the 6x Razor

55g fmj

A472522B-084B-413D-8FAB-24C1523458BC_zps

69g tmk

E2029BAA-FC32-4F6E-BF3A-BBDBBB36E589_zps

68g

D1A61FD5-1021-42DC-A43F-2430088AFBD2_zps

I want to go back and re-shoot the 68's. During that string me and another guy pulled the trigger at the exact same time.

Overall i am happy with the accuracy, its a sub moa gun.

I will get some velocity numbers up soon.

Nice: I got my Stretch16 sniper gray mounted yesterday morning. All I had time to do was take it out for a function check. It is very soft shooting and it is easier to hold on target during double taps. This week, I am mounting a Weaver 4-12X and will shoot 100.

I did sling 3 75's under 24.5 g Tac at 300 the reticle lined up. I think around 1moa. Target has shot up.

24.5gr of TAC behind 75's has gotta be getting pretty stout. I just worked up a load for 77gr Nosler CC's and at 24 gr my primers were flattening pretty good.

24.5gr of TAC behind 75's has gotta be getting pretty stout. I just worked up a load for 77gr Nosler CC's and at 24 gr my primers were flattening pretty good.

Really? Ive loaded it higher with no ill effects. I think max charge is closer to 26.

bbates, Here is the entry for 75s with TAC in the Ramshot Guide: 75 HDY BTHP-M 21.7 2,582 24.1 2,820 54,337 2.260

24.1 is Max, you are over max.

Edited by MarkCO