Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a "best" extend mag base plate?

Djstorm100

I have been using the Taylor Freelance and I have one Arredondo. I prefer the TF base pads of the two. They are easier to reload and the extra weight is nice being made of aluminum instead of plastic. Also, I will only use the Arredondo in a match if I start with it in the gun as it fits kind of tight to the bottom of the grip. If I don't seat the mag really well it won't lock into place.

The Taran Tactical extensions look great and on my list of things to try out. I have heard good things about them, but never used them.

I will pass on the Arredondo unit to for a fair price if you want to try it out (pm me if you like). It will give me a reason to replace it with a TTI unit to try out.

I have 140mm extensions from both TTI and Arredondo. TTI is far superior: it holds an extra round (23 vs. 22 of 9mm), is easy to load by hand, and the method of attachment is easier to work with. Also, the Arredondo will NOT fit inside my SSS magwell. TTI is worth the extra $$$.

I have the TTI and the TF. The TF has a challenge with repeated drops on hard floors - the back plate that holds the extension on can bend. NOt a big deal to bend back, but you have to watch it or the base can slide and you will wind up with a nice malfunction... usually during a classifier. :) I'll be buying TTI bases in the future - EXCEPT - I'll likely pick up one of the 170mm units from TF for an M&P open experiment at some point in the future.

Ya hear that TTI? I need a 170mm unit.... hint, hint.

Taran Tactical Innovations are the best. I have Taylor freelance and the shape of them is squared as compared to The which are rounded off and fit better in your hand. I have added grip tape to all my mags so they don't slip (learned the hard way)

Taran Tactical Innovations are the best. I have Taylor freelance and the shape of them is squared as compared to The which are rounded off and fit better in your hand. I have added grip tape to all my mags so they don't slip (learned the hard way)

Make sure the added grip tape does not prevent the mag from fitting the USPSA magazine gauge... it sucks to get bumped to Open.

Make sure the added grip tape does not prevent the mag from fitting the USPSA magazine gauge... it sucks to get bumped to Open.

could have a machine shop knurl it

I have the TTI and the TF. The TF has a challenge with repeated drops on hard floors - the back plate that holds the extension on can bend. NOt a big deal to bend back, but you have to watch it or the base can slide and you will wind up with a nice malfunction... usually during a classifier. :) I'll be buying TTI bases in the future - EXCEPT - I'll likely pick up one of the 170mm units from TF for an M&P open experiment at some point in the future.

Ya hear that TTI? I need a 170mm unit.... hint, hint.

I was called on the batphone. Here's the deal: Lots of people on this thread are looking to give our pads a try. Shoot me an PM, and I'll get you a low starting price to get some pads in your hands.

I was called on the batphone. Here's the deal: Lots of people on this thread are looking to give our pads a try. Shoot me an PM, and I'll get you a low starting price to get some pads in your hands.

Whoa, does this apply to any forum member??

I have TF 140's and 170's, I'd prefer the TTI attachment method but I've got too much invested to scrap them. They work fine, just a little fiddly to take apart. There is a modification where one of the holes in the retaining plate is a slot, that way if you loosen both screws you can pivot the plate out of the way, much better than having to keep track of that tiny allen screw when you had to take them apart.

<snip>

I've got too much invested to scrap them.

Same boat here, and mine function well also. Until I manage to destroy a few of them I won't be trying anything else (unless of course I find the TTI's at a screaming/can't refuse price).

<snip> Until I manage to destroy a few of them I won't be trying anything else (unless of course I find the TTI's at a screaming/can't refuse price).

Here, Easy. Coupon code is BENOS. You have until the 16th to get 40% off, which puts you down at $25 a pad. One time use, so use it well. Gogogo!

Now you have gone and done it!

Reaching for the damn plastic in my wallet right now......