Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need feedback on Colt Competition Model AR

igolfat8

I have a chance to buy a used Colt competition model AR in 5.56. I was told these are no longer in production and were only made a couple of years. It was made by Colt and not a contract supplier. Its stripped down to a basic flat top with no optics. Are these decent quality for my first AR (~$640) or should I buy a S&W Sport for ~ the same money?

The portion of the barrel that extends past the hand hard appears to be a slightly discolored which may indicate it has been over heated? Or is this normal or even a concern? Were these bbls chrome lined?

Oops, I posted this in the wrong sub forum. Mods, please move this to the correct sub forum. Sorry...

Edited by igolfat8

Is this what you are talking about? Or something similar?

icon1.png Colt AR-15 Match Target Competition HBAR
Still in the box never fired.
MODEL: MT6700
NAME: Match Target Competition HBAR
FINISH: Matte black
ACTION: Semi Auto, Gas operated, Multi-lug rotary locking bolt
CALIBER: .223 Rem
CAPACITY: 9 Rounds
BARREL LENGTH: 20”
RIFLING TWIST: RH. 1 Turn in 9”
RIFLING GROOVES: 6
TRIGGER: Smooth
FRONT SIGHT: Adjustable post for elevation
REAR SIGHT: Adjustable for windage and elevation
SIGHT RADIUS: 201⁄4”
WEIGHT: 8.5 lbs
OVERALL LENGTH: 39”
SPECIAL FEATURES: Removable carry handle allows for scope mounting
$950.00 OBO
MTCompHBAR_BIG.jpg

What do you know of the seller? The Colt Light Carbine is not a "competition" rifle, except that any rifle can actually be used in a competition.

Perhaps because it has a "match trigger?" That, too, is a non-standard relative term, and considering how badly a Colt standard trigger sucks, I question how much of an improvement would be significant to be considered "match" for them.

Now, all that said, I'm not dissing the actual rifle itself, for its intended purpose. Indeed, it would serve as well for many carbine matches as any other off-the-shelf AR. And it's a Colt, which means something to some people, though it shouldn't mean nearly as much as it used to. I've seen these Light Carbines on sale, new, for as low as $750 at times.

There should also be a model number on the receiver. A Light Carbine would probably be LE6900. That is the most useful information that can be included in your question.

Edited by MAC702

Its an out of state gun store which I know nothing about. The dealer just mentioned it just as another option to consider, in the same price range as the S&W Sport model. He said the Colt trigger was stock mil spec. My budget for my first AR is around 600 and the Sport keeps surfacing to the top of my list for new rifles. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by igolfat8

... He said the Colt trigger was stock mil spec. ...

Well, the Light Carbine LE6900 comes with a "match trigger," so we still don't have confirmation of what rifle we are dealing with. The dealer didn't give you a model number? Or has this "used gun" been altered in addition to being used?

The discoloration looks to be poor lighting. The photo showing most of the rifle horizontally doesn't show it.

In his first post the OP mentioned the discolored barrel and asked if it was a sign of heat damage.

I read that, he didn't say if he saw it in person, or a photo of the rifle. I didn't know if he was buying it from an ad or iface to face.

I would give a COLT CSR 1516 5.56 COMPETITION SPORTING RIFLE TRY FOR 700.00 if I was getting into things. It looks like someone took a new carbine and is trying to make it look like the Colt CSR 1516. There are also lots of good options out there if you want to try and build yourself an upper for a little more then what you are already thinking of spending. If you were closer I would spin your parts together for a case of good beer!

I own an M&P Sport. If I was buying an inexpensive home defense rifle, I would buy it again. If I was looking to shoot 3 gun/carbine matches on the cheap, I would probably buy the Colt. To me, free float hand guard and no A2 front sight are a plus in a competition rifle.

We sold those at the gun store I used to work at. Called a Colt Sporter. Nothing special about it, definitely not a 3-gun match AR. Entry level at best with standard mil-spec trigger. Only good thing was the floating hand guard.

The A-post front sight is also your gas block.It would be a good starter gun, but you would want to change many things in the near future. If the price was right.

gerritm

The model 6900 is a budget gun Colt put together as a solution to never offering a "low cost" option for people who didn't want to pay typical Colt prices

I'm hoping this is at least a good set of bones. Buy it, shoot it and then make changes as needed. Not a big deal to change out the barrel in a season or two. Same with the trigger.

Most of the competition guns out there shoot much better than their owners.

What do you know of the seller? The Colt Light Carbine is not a "competition" rifle, except that any rifle can actually be used in a competition.

Perhaps because it has a "match trigger?" That, too, is a non-standard relative term, and considering how badly a Colt standard trigger sucks, I question how much of an improvement would be significant to be considered "match" for them.

Now, all that said, I'm not dissing the actual rifle itself, for its intended purpose. Indeed, it would serve as well for many carbine matches as any other off-the-shelf AR. And it's a Colt, which means something to some people, though it shouldn't mean nearly as much as it used to. I've seen these Light Carbines on sale, new, for as low as $750 at times.

There should also be a model number on the receiver. A Light Carbine would probably be LE6900. That is the most useful information that can be included in your question.

based on the first link the (colt match trigger is 6lbs. i am still laughing

My neighbor received his Colt CSR 1516 this morning.

Looks quite nice for a sub-$700 AR. The gunsmith he ordered it through was impressed. Upper and lower nicely mated together. Balance is good (may change slightly once he adds an optic).

It came with 3 different capacity ProMags (20, 30 and 40?) and 1 30 rd Magpul magazine.

Only thing that needs changed is that horrible "match" trigger.

He hopes to take it to the range next week and do some accuracy testing.

Edited by Flatland Shooter