Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of a 9mm 1911 but problems

aandabooks

I've owned a 9mm 1911 in the past in a RIA GI model. I've got money in my pocket that is burning and I'm getting tired of waiting for a S&W 627 to appear. Figure that a 1911 in 9mm would fill another want but when I went to see about a SA Loaded, Davidson's doesn't even list it. I have a Loaded in .45 and wouldn't mind having a twin. SA only seems to have the RO in 9mm.

What else is going to be worth looking at in the $1000 and under range? Use will be range toy and possible use as a single stack minor gun for USPSA.

I'm not ruling out the RO just a little disappointed that SA seems to have dropped the Loaded in 9mm. The RO would actually save me about $150.

Something to keep in mind is that the 9mms tend to be heavier and you may need to swap some parts to get it to make weight.

If I was buying a single stack 9mm 1911 it would be a Dan Wesson PM9. It's not under 1K unless you can find a used one.

I have one and I have a Trojan in 9mm too. For the money the DW is miles ahead of the Trojan. One's I have seen are around $1400.00 but they are worth it! My DW makes weight on IDPA, just BARELY under the 43 oz limit and that is with the added mag well. I could put an aluminum guide rod in it to shave off some more if I need too. I tried a DP tool less guide rod but it would not fit in the Wesson PM9.

If I was buying a single stack 9mm 1911 it would be a Dan Wesson PM9. It's not under 1K unless you can find a used one.

I have one and I have a Trojan in 9mm too. For the money the DW is miles ahead of the Trojan. One's I have seen are around $1400.00 but they are worth it! My DW makes weight on IDPA, just BARELY under the 43 oz limit and that is with the added mag well. I could put an aluminum guide rod in it to shave off some more if I need too. I tried a DP tool less guide rod but it would not fit in the Wesson PM9.

This^^^

DW's are very nice guns and super accurate. I like to change parts on my guns but on the PM-9 there was no need.

for a few more dollars you could get a Trojan, and a few more get a dawson crp Trojan. outstanding performance sooo fun to shoot. worth every penny. a springfield range officer in nine is a choise too.

+1 I have at least 30k rounds through my Trojan 9mm. Really reliable and accurate.

I'm not ruling out the RO just a little disappointed that SA seems to have dropped the Loaded in 9mm. The RO would actually save me about $150.

I used to have a Springfield Loaded in 9mm. Sold it when I got a 9mm Trojan. Do NOT miss the Loaded one bit.

Something to keep in mind is that the 9mms tend to be heavier and you may need to swap some parts to get it to make weight.

Mine's 42.9oz B)

What's the street price on a s+w 9mm 1911 pro series?

They are a nice shooter. Yes they are 'series 80' but that can be fixed. It's full of Wilson parts, stainless, external extractor, nice checkering and trigger is decent-ish out of the box. Unlike most others that come with 9 round mags they come with 2 Wilson etm ten round mags which is nice. Retail is $1500ish but from what I hear street price is considerably lower.

I just recently bought a 9mm SA 1911 A-1 Target in stainless. As far as I can tell, it has the same features as the "loaded". Ambi-safety, front cocking serrations, Bomar-style adj rear sight and 2-piece guide rod. Did I miss something the loaded has that the A-1 Target doesn't?

I have a POS Citidale in 9mm that has beaten SVIs, Wilsons, Trojans, les baers, Springfields, Kimbers, Brazos edges (L10), and various custom guns. I had a RI in 45 that had done the same. I sold the 45 and bought a Springfield Trophy Match and while defiantly fitted better I can't say it is actually any better for this sport. I think we all get too caught up in brands, especially in SS. If your gun is reliable and reasonably accurate spending big on a pistol seems to me to be a waste of component money. Buy what you want, but don't be surprised when a kid with a Taurus shows up and whips everyone. (I have seen it happen).

I have a POS Citidale in 9mm that has beaten SVIs, Wilsons, Trojans, les baers, Springfields, Kimbers, Brazos edges (L10), and various custom guns. I had a RI in 45 that had done the same. I sold the 45 and bought a Springfield Trophy Match and while defiantly fitted better I can't say it is actually any better for this sport. I think we all get too caught up in brands, especially in SS. If your gun is reliable and reasonably accurate spending big on a pistol seems to me to be a waste of component money. Buy what you want, but don't be surprised when a kid with a Taurus shows up and whips everyone. (I have seen it happen).

Completely agree and that is why I'm setting my limit at $1000 for this gun. As long as the gun is reliable and reasonably accurate then it is really the shooter. There is a reason that Ben S. has won national titles with a Beretta and the only female shooter to make GM shoots for Taurus.

Completely agree and that is why I'm setting my limit at $1000 for this gun. As long as the gun is reliable and reasonably accurate then it is really the shooter. There is a reason that Ben S. has won national titles with a Beretta and the only female shooter to make GM shoots for Taurus.

SIG TME 9mm. Good gun, doesn't even have the crazy SIG 1911 profile.

I picked up a 9 RO, so far it has been perfect, the only mod so far is a relief cut on the sear to limit engagement, didn't take any weight off the pull just made it smoother

Edited by 427Cobra

"Taurus" I'm sure that was stamped over the top of the sti emblem on the side...

Whatever you buy make sure it has a ramped barrel. RIA 9mm 1911's do not.... Ask me how I know......

I have an Smith & Wessom SW1911 that has been rock solid but a lot of guys I shoot with run the STI Trojan in IDPA / USPSA.... That said, the SA Range Officer might be the best bang for the buck on the market.....