Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo Powder Drop Slide with Micrometer

Has anyone found better powder drop accuracy from using the Arredondo Powder Drop Slide with Micrometer?

The Dillon small powder bar is rated for 3-20 grains, and the Arredondo from UniqueTek is rated for 0.7-15 grains. My Titegroup loads are about 3.1 and I was wondering if the Arredondo can provide better accuracy than the Dillon small with micrometer.

I use the micrometer Arredondo powder bar and it is very solid. I don't remember having any issues using the Dillon small powder bar but I just wanted the adjustability of the micrometer and a faster way to change the powder drop.

I have Arrendondo bar with the micrometer but I would stop short of saying the powder bar itself is any more accurate at three grains of TiteGroup than the Dillon powder bar with the micrometer. With that said here's some data from earlier this year working up a Titegroup load using the Arrendondo powder bar. Standard Deviations were pretty good at 3.0 grains. Again, I would "assume" the Dillon powder bar would drop three grains just as accurately but I have no data to support my assumption. 960bf56225162662387501e3134034fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drop 3.2 of TG just fine with a stock small bar? What is the problem your having?

My small bar and micrometer was accurate for a while, but has drifted up a little at the same setting. I went from 130 PF to 138 PF.

The Dillon small bar is on the edge at 3.1, and the Arrendondo goes down to 0.7 grains. UniqueTek even advertises it as more accurate: "will meter down to 0.7 grains (with Win 231) and they meter very small powder drops more accurately than the Dillon extra-small powder bar."

Edited by ES13Raven

My small bar and micrometer was accurate for a while, but has drifted up a little at the same setting. I went from 130 PF to 138 PF.

Lots of things will change PF. Some powders are less temp sensitive than others but you can't assume velocity differences in your load are a problem with your powder measure.

Your talking about a velocity difference of only 54 fps using a 147 grain bullet to account for the 8 PF difference, what is your extream spread with your load on the same day?

Even using powder measures that cost thousands of dollars and charge to the kernel of powder won't make rounds go the exact same speed, even loaded one after the other and shot under the same environmental conditions.

I have some "stock" powder bars that haven't been adjusted for a decade and still drop the same weight, even with many different lots of powders.

Edited by jmorris

Lots of things will change PF. Some powders are less temp sensitive than others but you can't assume velocity differences in your load are a problem with your powder measure.

It was an issue with the powder measure. I was dropping 32.1 grains (10 drops) at setting #16 on the micrometer. I only use Titegroup and load 9mm, so nothing changes much on my 550b. The last 30 or so times I measured before loading, it came out to 32.1 grains every time. I was very happy with the reliability.

After my PF went from 130 to 138, I checked the powder measure again. This time it was at 33.1 gains at setting #16. I had to go down to setting #13 on the micrometer to get back to 32.1 grains.

That much of a change effected my accuracy at 25 yards. I was bench-rest testing for POA/POI at 25 yards again because my rear sight had come loose. The 138 PF loads were hitting about 3 inches low at 25 yards. I happen to have a few 130 PF rounds left and tested them too they shot POA/POI at 25 yards.

Ivbn0Unm.jpg

Edited by ES13Raven

It was an issue with the powder measure. I was dropping 32.1 grains (10 drops) at setting #16 on the micrometer. I only use Titegroup and load 9mm, so nothing changes much on my 550b. The last 30 or so times I measured before loading, it came out to 32.1 grains every time. I was very happy with the reliability.

After my PF went from 130 to 138, I checked the powder measure again. This time it was at 33.1 gains at setting #16. I had to go down to setting #13 on the micrometer to get back to 32.1 grains.

All on the same canister of powder?

Seems very odd, unless the powder settled/got more dense.

Sounds like a repeatability problem, guess I'll add that to my list of why I don't need a micrometer powder bar. I have extra powder bars and leave them set for my different loads.

Also why I don't have any of the extra knobs on my powder bars either.

Still sounds strange, lots of folks say good things about the after market micrometer setup. Did you buy it ready to go or did you do the micrometer conversion yourself?

I've dropped 20000 rounds of 2,4gr N310 in my dillon small powder bar, I do take some measurments from time to time, and at 0,05gr it meters pretty awsome, even if takeing a break reloading, then starting again.

I wish all powders meterd like N310...

• 1 year later...