Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mount offset for Swarovski Z6i 1-6

2Xalpha

I need help on choosing a mount for my new Swarovski Z6i 1-6 which will be sitting on top of my AR-15. The big question is whether to go with 2" or 3" offset. QD mount is a must, since the optic will be moved between different uppers. I've narrowed it down to either American Defense or Larue and the following models:

- ADM Recon (2" offset, 1.47" height above rail)

- ADM Recon X (3" offset, 1.47")

- ADM Scout X, (3" offset, 1.47")

- LaRue SPR-1.5 (LT104) (2" offset, 1.50")

- LaRue SPR-S (LT158), (2" offset, 1.44")

- LaRue SPR-E (LT139), (3" offset, 1.50")

Soooo what's the difference between the ADM Recon and Scout?

The Scout models have one locking lever as opposed to two, resulting in reduced weight and a little bit cheaper mount. However I want two locking levers for added rigidity, so I would prefer the Recon mounts.

kampr and Suff: I suppose you use your mounts with a Swarovski 1-6, right? It looks like 2" offset is the most common, but for instance the Vortex HD Gen II 1-6 is an exception in that 3" is recommended. So the question is: Which is more suitable for the Swarovski?

Some pictures:

L1000810sm.jpg

2" offset

4EE6107C-A4EB-49ED-9510-9CCA936F8C72-178

2" offset

jesse6.jpg

3" offset

99fig1.jpg

3" offset

Edited by 2Xalpha

kampr and Suff: I suppose you use your mounts with a Swarovski 1-6, right? It looks like 2" offset is the most common, but for instance the Vortex HD Gen II 1-6 is an exception in that 3" is recommended. So the question is: Which is more suitable for the Swarovski?

jesse6.jpg

3" offset

Depends on your shooting style.

I prefer the SPR-E on both the Swaro & Vortex, as I crowd the charging handle also.

Of course I'm over thinking it, want to do it right the first time you know. ;) It looks like the 2" mounts usually are put as much forward on the upper as possible, while the 3" gives the opportunity of further forward adjustment. Rearward adjustment doesn't seem to be an issue, except that with a 3" there is less rail estate behind the scope for side mounted irons or a red dot.

Luckily the Swarovski has a long tube offering plenty of adjustment in both directions, so I think either 2" or 3" will be fine. I just want to do it right the first time, and wonder what seems to be the optimal.

• 1 month later...