Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Key Holing in targets Why is it happening?

markmeone

There are plenty of guys shooting hawkesbury river bullets in compd guns. And ap100 is a good powder too just a little dirty. Vv 3n38 is cleaner and nicer to shoot but a fair bit more $$.

9mm pills and super are interchangeable but with a tanfo with a 355 barrel you need pills sized 356, 3565 or even 357. The hrbc pills should be 356.

One option is frontier cmj plated. Greg Moon sells them (practical shooting supplies). They make a 124gn rn in 356 that shoots great in tanfogs.

I would suggest an oal between 1.240 and 1.250 much better in the tanfog. I shoot an Eric custom and keep all my loads 1.250 or less. Even as short as 1.235.

A light crimp is fine.

Try the shorter oal and try some 356 or larger pills.

I think your right with the length being around the 1.245 mark

The compensator exit appears to be OK and just for good measure I got some Hope's 9 to clean out the deposits if any and see what happens with that.

I think I will get some 9mm 135 grain conical projectiles and try them out with the same powder but at a lower amount. I'll also look at getting some different powder too. All though I was at my gun shop today buying the Hope's 9 and told the guy who has the most experience with 38 super, IPSC etc and he informed me that he uses ADI AP70 with a 150 grained SWC and has no trouble. I looked it up and found the load for the AP70 powder and it clearly states 4.3 at 960fps to start and maximum load of 5.0 at 1111fps. Considering that the power factor of 160 equals 1067fps which is worth a look at maybe??? I am still looking at buying some jacketed projectiles to try out with the major loads. I might even look at getting the 9mm 150 grain conicals or SWC, I don't know which is best? Any ideas??? I have heard that the Hawksbury bullets are not the best. so I will try to find some other brands. I will keep plugging on.

I only cleaned the compensator with the hope's 9 and will see what happens next.

Stick to the lighter bullets with the slower ap100 powder. Out of 100 open major shooters only 1 will be running something heavier than 125gn.

If you want some plated I would reccomend contact Greg moon at pss. He is the frontier importer. Try their 124gn RN cmj. You will find they cost the same as the hrbc stuff anyway.

With an open major gun you want a decent amount of slow burning powder to produce enough gas to work the comp properly.

I can tell you 3 guys I shoot with run 124gb frontiers with ap100 in thei tanfogs (though theirs. Have the ported barrels so their loads are up around 9gn+). Personally I prefer vv 3n38 but it's more expensive and ap100 does work just fine.

I would be trying a load with the frontiers around 1.240 oal with ap100.