Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UBR on a 308

Anyone using a UBR on a 308?

Wondering what buffer you used, Brownells has an ultra heavy 308 carbine buffer that has a decent reputation. But is it needed if you have an adjustable gas block?

Anything else about using one in this application is welcome.

I run a UBR on my LR-308 and it works great. The AR15 stocks work fine on LR-308 pattern rifles, but there are issues using them in AR10 patterns.

As to buffers... 308's use a very heavy BCG. Much heavier than they need to use and most rifles are way over gassed. A heavier buffer will only increase the reciprocating mass and felt recoil. Instead you should consider adjustable gas to tune in the system and a lighter buffer to reduce reciprocating mass. I like the JP, captured spring system. The JP unit is tuneable and makes my semi auto feel very smooth. 308's will never stack rounds like a 223, but my 308 is getting pretty close.

Edited by co-exprs

JP captured spring buffer and never look back. Pair it with an adjustable gas block and you are money. If you really want to fancy pants it, get the JP low mass carrier. These aren't just cool factor parts, they make a tremendous difference. BTW, I love the added weight of the UBR, keeps the 308 from being front heavy.

Gun runs fine as is with a JP adjustable block and the stock buffer from DPMS.

I was just wondering if there was something different about using those parts on a 308. Sounds like it's just like the little guns though. Thanks guys.

I have a POF P308 with a UBR. You should use the standard DPMS 308 carbine buffer. With the heavier buffers, the brass stays in the chamber longer, allowing it to cool down and easier to extract. This extends the life of the extractor and smooths the cycling. Some say that it reduces recoil also. Those are the theories, but theory and practice are two different things. Since this is a hobby, you could always try a heavier buffer. If your bass is being ejected at or around the 3 o'clock position. I would not worry about it. And you could always just adjust the gas.