Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm crimp question.

wblacksh

I can't tell you that your crimp is to much or to little. But when I crimp my 124 Extreme bullets that much my pistol shoots 5" inch groups. When I crimp them to just show a slight distortion in the plating I get 2" groups.

You really don't want to crimp, all you want to do is remove the flare. If the sizing die is correct the finished round will look "wasp waisted" which will grip the bullet tightly and also prevent set back.

when I crimp that much my pistol shoots 5" inch groups. When I crimp them to just show a slight distortion in the plating I get 2" groups.

When I set my "crimp" on my SDB many years ago, I crimped

just enough so the round would chamber (removed enough

of the belling). [9mm]

When accuracy suffered, I realized I had too much "crimp",

so I backed it off a bit, until the round chambered, but was

accurate.

Set it, and it hasn't changed in ten years.

BTW, when I bought a 2nd SDB in 9mm, it came from the

factory "just right" - I've left it for the past four years, and

it is perfect.

You really don't want to crimp, all you want to do is remove the flare. If the sizing die is correct the finished round will look "wasp waisted" which will grip the bullet tightly and also prevent set back.

+1 This is exactly what you want with taper crimp cartridges. Just remove the flare, without any bullet deformation.

Roll crimp cartridges are a different story.

Steve RA & Hi-Power Jack say it! best. I use the KERPLUNK test I learned from these guys previously to define the LEAST amount of crimp necessary to get a round that chambers w/o resistance. We all have guns of whatever caliber you are reloading. Use the bare barrel next to the reload station to drop in a finished round and get that satisfying KERPLUNK sound. You know it will chamber. If you then want to fiddle w/th added crimp(beleive it will improve accuracy) then go ahead and try a few and shoot 'em. Your choice for that gun.

Peace,

Chuck