You Score It

EEH

On scoring target.

Bullet hit edge,did not break perf.

Grease ring of bullet on scoring pref.

Pict.just example ( I know it's white )

Hit or miss ?

Gun 40 s&w

9.5.9 Hits upon scoring or no-shoot paper targets, must completely pass through the target to be considered a valid hit and count for score or penalty.

post-14820-0-88162300-1425823607_thumb.j

Edited by EEH

Use an overlay to confirm.

It doesn't have to break the perf, just touching the line of the perf is more than adequate.

9.5.9 is brought up in the instance a low charge round makes it out of the gun but fails to pass thru the target but leaves some sort of mark on the target.

Edited by yoshidaex

If the bullet diameter (grease ring is just a visual cue, use an overlay) touches the perf, it scores as the next highest score (it does not have to "break" the perf, only touch it. In this case, I'd say its a no-shoot hit based on the grease ring, but again use overlay to confirm. (If this was on the edge of scoring target, this would be a D).

See 9.5.2

Where is the overlay?

Philosophically, whoever that was missed and hit the no shoot. Arguing their luck about the breadth of a hair is all well and good, but they still missed what they were trying to hit.

On a call that could go either way depending upon how the overlay is held, the shooter should be fine with however the call goes. If they don't like it, they can always shoot better so there is no mistake.

Edited by aceinyerface

The grease ring is clearly touching the perf, but it appears the back layer of cardboard is still present as the result of the bullet striking the target at an angle.

So did the bullet "completely pass through the target"?

Ok,so it did cut the edge of the target,but did not touch the scoring border.

After using overlay the circle on the overlay was inside the scoring border,so. 1 ( D ) hit..

I must confess I called it wrong to start with,after a little discussion I gave the D hit.

The grease ring is clearly touching the perf, but it appears the back layer of cardboard is still present as the result of the bullet striking the target at an angle.

So did the bullet "completely pass through the target"?

Yes

I'd pull out the overlays before making the call. Had lots of close calls at the Desert Classic over the weekend, and took the photos below as an example of how to use an overlay (left of perf is A-zone, scored this target A/C, challenged as A/A by competitor, upheld as A/C by RM). Incidentally, this photo shows the use of IPSC overlays, which I prefer as they have a useful line printed on them so you don't have to use the edge of the overlay to mark the perf.

How%20To%20Use%20A%20Scoring%20Overlay_z

How%20To%20Use%20A%20Scoring%20Overlay%2

Edited by StealthyBlagga

If after using an overlay and it is still unclear, benefit of doubt goes to the shooter. On a large match, trying to maintain a 5 minute shooter, you don't have all day to keep checking. That would be my call.

Paul : -)#

There is no such thing as "benefit of the doubt" to the shooter in this situation. It crossed the line or it did not. He earned the hit or he did not. If you can't call it, then pull the target and get the RM to do it for you. Move the match on.

If after using an overlay and it is still unclear, benefit of doubt goes to the shooter. On a large match, trying to maintain a 5 minute shooter, you don't have all day to keep checking. That would be my call.

Paul : -)#

There is no such thing as "benefit of the doubt" to the shooter in this situation. It crossed the line or it did not. He earned the hit or he did not. If you can't call it, then pull the target and get the RM to do it for you. Move the match on.

^ THIS

I'm gonna buy some of these overlays. I was scoring one day (I am not trained yet, have shot probably a total of 10-12 matches) and had a shooter contend that the no shoot didn't count as it didn't break the perf., we asked a more experienced shooter and they agreed it had to break the perf. I admittedly hand't read my whole handbook and said ok. When I got home not only did I check but I threw my handbook in my range bag. I'm going to add the overlays, I just want to be ready if I'm put in that situation again.

thanks guys.

Red