Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressure Question When Working Up Load to Major PF

wblacksh

Hi. I just bought a new STI Trubor and will get it hopefully Monday. I received a recommend load from the dealer, and got confused on part of it. When developing a load for major PF I know to step it up slowly using a chronograph. My question is that that the dealer told me that I need to also check the pressure as I work up from -10% of the recommendation. Did I overlook something when I was learning about loading ammo and about Open guns and power factor? How do I check the pressure, or am I just misunderstanding something? I completely get the chronograph part, and to make sure nothing on the gun is looking like it is wearing un-expectedly, but I am missing how to check the pressure.

Thanks in advance,

-Wayne

Check for pressure SIGNS on the brass. Flat primers or primer flower pierced primers are all signs of pressure.

Is it a 9 or 38? What load did he recommend?

Edited by Sarge

Hi. It is 9.

This is what they recommended:

OAL: 1.16"

Powder: 8.5gr Vihta Vuori 3N38

Bullets: 124 gr Bullet

Primers: Small Rifle Primers

This is what I already have so I am currently searching on the forums for load data to use the stuff I already have:

HS6 - I have this already.

(I also have Autocomp on back order and hopefully I should get it in less than 3 weeks).

124gr Xtreme bullets

Once fired factory 9mm brass mixed head stamp. (I am picky so I actually sorted it by head stamp myself)

CCI Small Rifle Primers and CCI Small Pistol Primers

Edited by wblacksh

Hi. It is 9.

This is what I already have so I am currently searching on the forums for load data to use the stuff I already have:

HS6 - I have this already.

(I also have Autocomp on back order and hopefully I should get it in less than 3 weeks).

124gr Xtreme bullets

Once fired factory 9mm brass mixed head stamp. (I am picky so I actually sorted it by head stamp myself)

CCI Small Rifle Primers and CCI Small Pistol Primers

Follow your plan, you have good components