Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Punch-Does It Really Come Apart ?

Does the 650 primer punch really dissemble for cleaning ?

Dirt/dust gets into the fitting and wont let it re-seat fully-- causing the primer wheel to stick and not rotate easily.

I see cleaning one is mentioned here and there. I've tried spraying cleaner and working it in and out - no luck. I can get the c-clip and spring off with only two hands :-) But, I'm unable to get the pin out. Should I wack it with a hammer and punch ? Or does it simply just not come out , thus requiring a new assy ?

The old style that is pressed together is not particularly serviceable. Dillon will replace it with the newer style punch for you. As I understand it, the new style is more servicable. I'm curious as to whether or not we could take the old style ones with a little crud in them and drop them into an ultrasonic cleaner and let the sonic action help work the gunk out. Thoughts?

The old style that is pressed together is not particularly serviceable. Dillon will replace it with the newer style punch for you. As I understand it, the new style is more servicable. I'm curious as to whether or not we could take the old style ones with a little crud in them and drop them into an ultrasonic cleaner and let the sonic action help work the gunk out. Thoughts?

That's worked for me. I follow up with ultrasonic oiling, too, since the metal is left bare.

I have the same primer assembly and it does come apart. If you have a vize try putting it in the vice and squeeze till the primer punch is exposed and touch it up with a file.

And call Dillon they will send you a new one.

I've been using one of these:

Its a automotive door handle clip remover (it works good if you need to remove your door panels). Just press down on it with your left hand and grab the C-Clip with a pair of Needle nose pliers. Works like a charm. Reassembly the same.

post-12930-0-48346300-1426190675_thumb.j

Got the replacement from Dillon. No wonder folks say it comes apart and I couldnt figure out how. The "new" one has an alen head part that the original one I have didnt. I'll find out if it come apart after the next 6-7k and it needs cleaning.

C-Clip wasnt tough. I put it in a small vice, pressing the tip of the punch and the edge of the c-clip cup. The clip loosens and easy to get off and back on.

Archived